Solar charger for Grand Trip? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-05-2013   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Solar charger for Grand Trip?

I am going on the Grand Canyon on October 5. Looking for a relatively inexpensive solar charger to charge my iPod. Thoughts? Thanks!

RiverGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013   #2

Boone, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2005
Goal 0 (zero)
booneboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #3

Boone, North Carolina
Sorry got ahead of my self.

... makes some really nice stuff i have one of their smaller ones for similar purposes and im pretty happy with how it does.
booneboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013   #4

Niwot, Colorado
Goal zero vs. LiOn batts

I've had a goal zero for a few years and found what I used the most was the battery pack. I just charged up a bunch of batteries for my trips and charged my devices (cameras etc) off of the battery packs.

Now, with the proliferation of these battery packs, I'm considering just taking a couple of big (10000mAh+) batteries with me and not even worry about solar.

When I say big - I mean capacity. The acutal size of these are pretty small.
readNrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #5

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I did a Sept. 13th trip last year and brought my goal zero with mixed results. If you are only charging an ipod you will ok, unless you bring it down to empty every night. There are not a ton of spots to charge in the sun at camps and lunch breaks. Figure out a decent way to charge it while you are on the water and you should be fine. Short days make it tougher. If it is really important to you then bring an extra set of charged batteries with the goal zero and that will help a bunch. Whatever you do make sure you test it really well at home first.
Old 09-05-2013   #6

Niwot, Colorado
Yea - it's just that it may be nice not to have to drag out the charging stuff at every stop. I need to do the math on these batteries but my goal zero was about $100 and you can buy a lot of battery for that.
readNrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #7

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Goal Zero

+1 for the goal zero. I borrowed one for my Grand trip in June. Test your solar charger choices before purchase. Our solar charger (don't remember the brand)would surge and certain times and shut down ipod/iphone charging. We ended up using the solar charger to power up the goal zero and then would use batteries to charge ipods. We were all disappointed in the charger.
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #8

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Goal zero seemed to work well enough to charge gopros for a few days. I used the battery to recharge 1 gopro then recharged the battery in about 2 hrs using the panel and then recharged 2 gopros from that. The gopros seemed to recharge in about 2 hrs as well. The jury is still out pending further testing, but initial impressions were positive.
Old 09-06-2013   #9
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverGirl84 View Post
I am going on the Grand Canyon on October 5. Looking for a relatively inexpensive solar charger to charge my iPod. Thoughts? Thanks!
What possible thing does your IPod offer that will enhance your canyon trip?

Just asking..............
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #10

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
What possible thing does your IPod offer that will enhance your canyon trip?

Just asking..............
Totally off topic and well debated in past discussions, just leave it as different strokes for different folks.

Back on topic, I have a Goal Zero as well. As mentioned before i typically use it to charge the battery pack then charge up my ipod or camera off of that. You can put it in a waterproof map pocket and charge while you float. It is a better option than hoping for a sunny camp. On my next trip I am planning on bringing a small motorcycle battery. They fit in an ammo can and have plenty of juice to power anything I can imagine for the trip without worrying about a recharge.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote