Snout Rig Build - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #21
 
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,158
Man, I want to start my build. I’m busy building a bank. Looks like a cool build though. I have a push pull aluminum rig that I use a lot for welding plate to tube, among other things. It’s a great tac rig too. Tig is where it’s at on the round stuff.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22
 
Daryl's Avatar
 
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 119
Looks great Josh!

Testing at Chopfield Reservoir soon?
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23
 
jspoon14's Avatar
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Looks great Josh!

Testing at Chopfield Reservoir soon?
Yes! Party barge on Chatfield reservoir, you have to do a load test right?
__________________
Full disclosure: I suck at spelling and grammar, so if you find an error, great! Keep it to your self I don't care!
jspoon14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24
 
jspoon14's Avatar
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 288
***Post Weekend Update***

Hello everyone, I made some good progress this weekend and if I had not run out of welding gas and materials I could have made a lot more.

I was able to get most of the remaining welding done on the main cage of the frame and got one of the side decks tacked together. I can now get a good idea of how wide this thing is going to be.

I designed the side deck so they would have a nested spot for rocket boxes to be stored for easy access. In this area I am going to put the aluminum sheet under the 1.5" pipe so the ammo cans will sit down two inches. In that recess I am going to add an angle frame so that that the cans can sit snug and have an individual spot to tie-down each can. .

I am starting to think about what type of aluminum sheet to use for the floor of the cargo area and the side decks. I like some of the ideas that other Buzzards posted in this thread. I want to add a lot of tie down points in the cargo area. I like the idea of drilling a "peg board" layout of holes for drainage and additional tie-off's but don't want to spend the time to drill them all. I thinking about using some perforated aluminum sheet in some areas for weight saving and drainage but not sure yet.

https://www.mcnichols.com/perforated...rforated-metal

Also start working on the cargo hatch design I think I am going to make some frames out of 2" angle and use either expanded or perforated aluminum sheets. That seems like it would give good traction be light weight, and would clean and drain well. I am also going to design these so I can use them as a ramp for access on and off the boat when on shore.

Here are some progress pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200105_150228.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1,000.0 KB
ID:	41841   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200105_150231.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1,007.9 KB
ID:	41843  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200105_150306.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	41845   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200105_232722.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1,016.6 KB
ID:	41847  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200112_190511.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	41849   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200119_171227.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	41851  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200119_171314.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	942.7 KB
ID:	41853   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200119_175014.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	41855  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0240.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	41857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	41859  

__________________
Full disclosure: I suck at spelling and grammar, so if you find an error, great! Keep it to your self I don't care!
jspoon14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25
 
jspoon14's Avatar
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 288
Found this today while I was doing some research on my tubes. Though it was cool.

I think I should modify my design a bit....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-20 190936.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	41869  
__________________
Full disclosure: I suck at spelling and grammar, so if you find an error, great! Keep it to your self I don't care!
jspoon14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #26
 
jspoon14's Avatar
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 288
Working on some design tonight. Here are some screen shots of my ideas around the floor layout. I took the advice of a couple Buzzards and have added what I think is a lot of tie-down options, but you can never have too many. Also like the idea of added drainage. Not sure though from a pro's and con's aspect, would it be better to have a solid floor that "planes" or one that penetrates and drains?

Anyone have an opinion on what thickness of floor I should use? Thinking at least 1/8 if not 3/16, don't want to go to 1/4. Going to try and hang the floor from the frame so I have a flat bottom but have some concerns relying on only weld to hold the floor in place. As a way to mitigate that a bit I am going to use loop straps for cargo tie-down. That way I can at least have some sort of redundancy with the floor. Hate to be rolling down the rive and all of a sudden look down and most of my cargo is gone.

I have also included an image of the racking system idea I have for rocket boxes. Anyone try anything like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor CNC Design 200121.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	41919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snout Rig 2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	775.8 KB
ID:	41921  

__________________
Full disclosure: I suck at spelling and grammar, so if you find an error, great! Keep it to your self I don't care!
jspoon14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #27
 
Salt Lake City, Utah
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 112
.120 works well
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #28
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,684
I like your floor design. Going to have it laser/waterjet cut?

I'd agree with your worry about the entire cargo being held by welds. maybe rosette welds under each tube ever 3-4"? Seems you could put enough welds in the right places to not have to worry. You know you could continuously weld the tubes to the floors..but that would be janky! Ask BGillespie...he's been around a lot more aluminum than I have.



Also like the racking for the ammo cans. I've seen something like that before...*scratches head*...there was a company that was welding a small 1/2" square bar on the bottom corner of their ammo cans/rocket boxes and then had a spring-loaded clip to hold the can in the rail...somewhat like a ski binding but much simpler.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #29
 
jspoon14's Avatar
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I like your floor design. Going to have it laser/waterjet cut?

I'd agree with your worry about the entire cargo being held by welds. maybe rosette welds under each tube ever 3-4"? Seems you could put enough welds in the right places to not have to worry. You know you could continuously weld the tubes to the floors..but that would be janky! Ask BGillespie...he's been around a lot more aluminum than I have.



Also like the racking for the ammo cans. I've seen something like that before...*scratches head*...there was a company that was welding a small 1/2" square bar on the bottom corner of their ammo cans/rocket boxes and then had a spring-loaded clip to hold the can in the rail...somewhat like a ski binding but much simpler.
Thanks MT4runner, yes the company that I work for has a CNC plasma table. I could do it with a router and a some jigs but would take me forever.

My plan for welding the floor is to do perimeter stitch welds. When you say rosette welds do you mean plug welds? If so yes that is my plan if you look at the drawing where the sets of strap pass through hole are at the cross bars I am going to have 1/8" wide slit so I can do a "plug bead" weld to each cross bar. I want to avoid oil canning of the floor and distorting the pipe so I am going to try and sequence the welding so I can eventually get enough contact.

My concern with the floor under the tubes is that long term beating the welds would take would be too much. To help with this I think I am going to build a similar set up to the rocket boxes for the coolers in the cargo bay. I am going to use angle to build a tie down system that will carry most of the load. That would eliminate most of the beating the floor would take over time. I think...

That is a cool idea to use a clip/clamp to hold the boxes down, kind of like Reretec does with their frames and dry boxes.
__________________
Full disclosure: I suck at spelling and grammar, so if you find an error, great! Keep it to your self I don't care!
jspoon14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #30
 
MT4Runner's Avatar
 
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,684
Quote:
That is a cool idea to use a clip/clamp to hold the boxes down, kind of like Reretec does with their frames and dry boxes.
Pulse Fab used to be on here, but it appears his website is no longer up.




Quote:
My concern with the floor under the tubes is that long term beating the welds would take would be too much. To help with this I think I am going to build a similar set up to the rocket boxes for the coolers in the cargo bay. I am going to use angle to build a tie down system that will carry most of the load. That would eliminate most of the beating the floor would take over time. I think...
This is a GREAT idea!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jspoon14 View Post
My plan for welding the floor is to do perimeter stitch welds. When you say rosette welds do you mean plug welds? If so yes that is my plan if you look at the drawing where the sets of strap pass through hole are at the cross bars I am going to have 1/8" wide slit so I can do a "plug bead" weld to each cross bar. I want to avoid oil canning of the floor and distorting the pipe so I am going to try and sequence the welding so I can eventually get enough contact.
yes, plug weld = rosette weld.

I wouldn't put the plug welds directly between the strap slits. Put the plug welds in the solid part of the aluminum floor away from the slits...less chance of tear-out. Maybe my crude MS-Paint sketch will sort of explain what I'm trying to say:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	27
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	41927  
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.