Snout Rig Build - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-02-2020   #11

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
We rented this snout from PRO back in 2000, the front dropped down into a ramp, when lifted there was a pipe that went thru the stanchions on the sides of the ramp, 2 simple straps around the tubes held it in place when underway.

Super slick way to put a ramp on, easy to use although it was a tad on the heavy side, but down in an instant and right back up, allows for some additional storage space as well.
This is the design im working on for my 2nd snout. I've got sketches but your photo really helps. Thank you sir.

yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2020   #12

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
jspoon14:

Your build is coming along. Looks good!
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020   #13

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
You're welcome, I can likely scare up some more if it'd help. It was a really well thought out Waterman Welding frame, and I really fell in love with the engineering behind it. About the only thing I don't have a photo of I think is the Jack Ass. It too was a work of art, never saw one that lifted that high, or was so easy to use. The downside was a pipe sticking up to operate it, I saw a way you could have put it on a pedal, but never pursued it past the mental proof of concept stage.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020   #14

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
I ran the floor-support pipes length-wise in my snout. The floor is expanded metal lath tack-welded to the between-tube frame pipes and the longitudinal center pipes. The advantage of this is that when you take big water, it sluices through instantly, leaving you as maneuverable as ever; and it does not pour out by going back over you and your motor. The disadvantage is that water splashes up onto your feet and lower legs when you are motoring. I solved this with a piece of raft fabric back in the motor well.

You can get some increases both in speed and maneuverability by putting an inflatable kayak under your floor, up forward. This under-boat will have a very hard life, and should not be counted on as a trip toy or spare boat.

Your rig is apparently designed to live on a trailer. Mine was designed to break down between trips, so mine has 3 frame baskets which nest for storage.
JEPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020   #15

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEPerry View Post
I ran the floor-support pipes length-wise in my snout. The floor is expanded metal lath tack-welded to the between-tube frame pipes and the longitudinal center pipes. The advantage of this is that when you take big water, it sluices through instantly, leaving you as maneuverable as ever; and it does not pour out by going back over you and your motor. The disadvantage is that water splashes up onto your feet and lower legs when you are motoring. I solved this with a piece of raft fabric back in the motor well.

You can get some increases both in speed and maneuverability by putting an inflatable kayak under your floor, up forward. This under-boat will have a very hard life, and should not be counted on as a trip toy or spare boat.

Your rig is apparently designed to live on a trailer. Mine was designed to break down between trips, so mine has 3 frame baskets which nest for storage.
I was kicking around the idea of using expanded metal for the floor of the cargo area to save weight. Great to hear that it has worked out for you. If I do, i would still do a solid sheet in the captains bay just to keep the splashes down. I have not rowed too many cat's but the ones I have you always seem to get wet unnecessarily.

I don't get the kayak under the floor idea. How does that help?

Yes, mine will live on a trailer. For the first frame I want to build it robust and foolproof. Once I get some miles on it and figure out what I do and do not like I will modify the design. I would be nice to be able to break it down so might try that for the next frame.
Old 01-06-2020   #16

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsells View Post
jspoon14:

Your build is coming along. Looks good!
Thanks!
Old 01-06-2020   #17

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Nice rigs! As for the ramp portion of the discussion, would ~7 feet be too short? If not, it seems you could have a ramp do double duty as an emergency backboard by routering in some slots for straps and hand-holds.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020   #18

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Nice rigs! As for the ramp portion of the discussion, would ~7 feet be too short? If not, it seems you could have a ramp do double duty as an emergency backboard by routering in some slots for straps and hand-holds.

-AH
That would be one heavy and wide backboard !!!

With the spinal restriction protocols in EMS having changed 2 years ago, we almost never backboard a patient these days, on the river were I to need spinal restriction, I'd taco the patient in a paco pad and straps.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020   #19

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspoon14 View Post
If I do, i would still do a solid sheet in the captains bay just to keep the splashes down. I have not rowed too many cat's but the ones I have you always seem to get wet unnecessarily.
I didn't make my cat's floor completely solid, but it's not far from solid. I have large sealed marine grade plywood sheets with holes for mounting and drainage. Those cover each bay minus my dry box's bay which leaves a 1.5-2 inch gap in the captains bay. I hear you on the splashes that might come from that and inherent risk of stuff falling thru, but sometimes those are good.
A random floor cleaning in a rapid.
A place to fill the water gun without lunging over the side.
A splash reminder that you ARE in a big rapid.
A reminder to keep small objects stowed away so they don't go swimming/sinking.
A place to discreetly poor the nasty drink you didn't want but that other guy insists you drink.
A place for the pee to drain.
A place to see/hear what's happening under the boat(In my case I intentionally ran over sideways and straddled a "smooth" rock on the right side of the island in HHM to rescue a boater stranded on the island. That little gap gave me the ability to see progress when pulling the upriver tube off the rock)

But this is merely my design. Not yours. Probably many advantages to welding in a full sheet.
Old 01-07-2020   #20

These are the floor plates and tiedown fixtures for my big cat. Solid to lash to, solid to stand on, and drained quickly.

Yeah, I had cheap access to aluminum plate, and a whole afternoon in my garage to drill holes. Marshal would have done it in one-tenth the time....

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9160007_1578438271744.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	633.4 KB
ID:	41557   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9160009_1578438298915.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	641.9 KB
ID:	41559