Snout boats? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-08-2015   #21

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
....and the sense of accomplishment.
Just getting this thing launched is a huge accomplishment...

yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2015   #22

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
Hey Yardsells,

Are those military pontoons? Year?
Yeah. Generals. The last inspection date was 1967. The serial number was so worn i couldn't make out the birthdate.
Old 10-08-2015   #23

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
Nice 'Swamper seat' there on the back left!! Do you have a back rest for it?
Haha!!! Great idea!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2015   #24

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by daairguy View Post
Are guiding these big snouts any fun? I understand they can carry a lot, but I'd rather be rowing a raft, and let my buddies take care of the snout. :P
I can't speak to snouts in particular, but driving a sweep boat on the MF has been some of the most fun boating I've ever done. Challenging, interesting, the boat moves so differently than anything else I've ever rowed or paddled.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015   #25

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsells View Post
Daairguy,
They're basically a giant paddle boat without the pesky Lilly dippers.
Poverty jetboat.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015   #26

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
After rowing the snout, my 18 foot raft feels like its a 13.5 raft. I was talking with another guy who rows a 20 foot raft when he's bringing a large group. He is convinced that spending time running huge rigs makes a person better at reading rivers. You have to been super aware of where you are going, use ferry angles, and line up for the rapids. Someday I want to try sweeps because I imagine they require the ultimate in river planning.

tda
slc
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015   #27

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Has anybody here seen and/or used the Jacks Plastic Welding snout tubes? How about the Hyside snout tubes?
Also, does anybody have beta on where more military tubes are?

tda
slc
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015   #28

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
Has anybody here seen and/or used the Jacks Plastic Welding snout tubes? How about the Hyside snout tubes?
Also, does anybody have beta on where more military tubes are?

tda
slc
I saw this in Flagstaff…
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=319557490
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015   #29

Spokane Valley, Washington
Paddling Since: 1966
Google J rigs with sweeps. Under images you can find a nice run on Pistol Creek. The first trip I did with a J rig was the Clark Fork through the Alberton section. The river was running less than 1,000 CFS. Some folks run two sweep men and others only one. In the really good old days sweep boats were made up of rough cut lumber, a couple of sweeps added and then they were run down the river and sold for the wood. those were real boaters!

I spent several years running a heavy Avon Spirit, I am guessing the rig weighed 1500 pounds, sometimes more when I had passengers! Never more than six though.

I totally agree that the timing and planning you have to to have to run a heavy raft really sharpens your skills. We were running the Lower Main Salmon as soon as Slide got under 15,000 CFS. Big water made some parts easier, slow water was a drag until we put the motor on. Then when we got to the Snake we would raft together six rafts and motor to Heller's Bar. You had to use the navigation marks that the government has installed to avoid the shallows. Get in line between the two points and follow that line until the next set of marks.
Old 10-12-2015   #30

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsrick View Post
Google J rigs with sweeps. Under images you can find a nice run on Pistol Creek. The first trip I did with a J rig was the Clark Fork through the Alberton section. The river was running less than 1,000 CFS. Some folks run two sweep men and others only one. In the really good old days sweep boats were made up of rough cut lumber, a couple of sweeps added and then they were run down the river and sold for the wood. those were real boaters!

I spent several years running a heavy Avon Spirit, I am guessing the rig weighed 1500 pounds, sometimes more when I had passengers! Never more than six though.

I totally agree that the timing and planning you have to to have to run a heavy raft really sharpens your skills. We were running the Lower Main Salmon as soon as Slide got under 15,000 CFS. Big water made some parts easier, slow water was a drag until we put the motor on. Then when we got to the Snake we would raft together six rafts and motor to Heller's Bar. You had to use the navigation marks that the government has installed to avoid the shallows. Get in line between the two points and follow that line until the next set of marks.

I cant imagine taking a J-rig through the Alberton Gorge at 1000 cfs, that is really low water. How and why did you take such a large boat through at such low water?
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote