Sleeping on your raft... Lets see your setup - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Sleeping on your raft... Lets see your setup

Ever since the Grand I love the idea of sleeping on my boat. But unlike the 18' GC rigs from PRO my own boat is a little narrow for sleeping on the dance floors. This is a hammock setup that I used on a solo overnight last week. I used the rails from my fishing seat and turned them vertical on the ends of the frame. During the day I loosened and folded them in over the gear. It worked great. The river was high and the beaches sucked so I cooked supper and made coffee and breakfast on the boat too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190612_080720.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	36503  

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Everyone raves about the BD Megamid setup on the 18' oar rig but I slept pretty cold in August on the GC last time down, in moderate rain, under a Megamid. What alternatives are folks finding useful for pitching/sleeping on top of a "marriage plate" over the rower's footwell?
Tower Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
That's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
Ever since the Grand I love the idea of sleeping on my boat. But unlike the 18' GC rigs from PRO my own boat is a little narrow for sleeping on the dance floors. This is a hammock setup that I used on a solo overnight last week. I used the rails from my fishing seat and turned them vertical on the ends of the frame. During the day I loosened and folded them in over the gear. It worked great. The river was high and the beaches sucked so I cooked supper and made coffee and breakfast on the boat too.
I love that set up. I never thought of using a hammock on a raft, great idea. I have camped and slept on my raft also, on solo hunting trips myself. That Coleman Peak 1 Feather 400 stove is as rugged as you can get, they work in freezing weather and high altitude, unlike the canister backpack stoves. Living on a boat, it just doesn't better than that. For a small fire at night I used a 50 call. ammo can half filled with fine sand and 2 cups Coleman fuel dumped over the sand, throw a match in and you have a fire for 1 hour or so, great for fishing too.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Cdale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
I have slept on my raft when we had 2 rafts tied together side by side, with our heads toward the middle of the two. Slept on an 18 footer in the GC and threw out an anchor in the eddy with a line to shore. Never had to worry about grounding out when the water dropped at night. You can’t beat sleeping while floating in the middle of an eddy!
rtwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Gotta maintain that proper angle for optimal sleep...

In all seriousness...a cot really opens up your options and makes for a very comfortable nights sleep on a raft. The guy in this raft had his on a front deck and he puts a single rocket box between his captains boxes for a nice stable platform.

I do it 90 degrees and just put the legs of mine on my side boards between the oar towers. This allows me to stand in the captains bay and still get to dry boxes. My cooler makes a nice little night stand. Kinda sucks that it blocks the side boards...but its worth it. I've done it with two legs on a dry box and two on the cooler too.

A buddy of mine has a 18'er and if he puts rocket boxes in the captains bay and can do a 3-4 person tent on his raft pretty easily.

I've never found a perfect setup for a 14' raft to keep the rain off. I've wrapped up in a tarp a few times. I've been thinking about getting a Bivy sack but I'm not sure about how much I could do with the "hot breath" humidity with that setup. Someone posted this tent when I asked about "wings on a raft" a while back... https://www.amazon.com/Teton-Sports-...ateway&sr=8-14

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Here is my rig on the MFS a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170704_070450.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	36513  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Climber View Post
Everyone raves about the BD Megamid setup on the 18' oar rig but I slept pretty cold in August on the GC last time down, in moderate rain, under a Megamid. What alternatives are folks finding useful for pitching/sleeping on top of a "marriage plate" over the rower's footwell?

Cold in August on GC? wow. I have an 18 foot Dory, use what we call a cuddleboard over the rowers footwell and a Black Diamond Mega Mid this year on GC in March. Slept fine, was perfectly comfortable, but the difference may have been that my dory deck is solid, and a raft bottom isn't, which would allow air to rise. As hot air tends to rise, you may have been at the cooler air at the bottom.

While we didn't use it on that trip, for more inclement weather I can set up a North Face Storm Break tent up on the deck as well, really love this tent for the dual side doors / vestibules and it's free standing capabilities. The other reason is you can fit 2 Maravia Silverback pads side by side in the tent perfectly. The side doors stop my wife from climbing over me when getting up in the middle of the night to pee.

https://www.rei.com/product/129202/t...rmbreak-2-tent
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspoon14 View Post
Here is my rig on the MFS a few years ago.
Do you have to do anything else to make that stay put at night?
It looks like the angle of all those cuts would make it hold together?

That’s a great idea! Been trying to figure out how to pack a “marriage” board on my 14’er without taking up a lot of extra space, and that looks like the solution!

Thanks to everyone, for all the great ideas in this thread!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Nope I made it to wedge in between the drybox and cooler. I have modified it since the photo. The picutre you see is when I moved the cross bars that is why the supports are at an angle. The intent was that they were perpendicular to the top slats. Works great and i keep it stowed with some cam starps to the frame when under way.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I do my "marriage board" (never heard that term before) by having two decking layers over my front bay that hinge at the cross bar between the drop bag and the rowers footwell (see picture with dog and drunk dudes). The top one flips over to cover the rowers bay and the one in the front still hinges up and down for easy access to the drop bag. This does require that you have a deck over a bay adjacent to the rowers. I fit two grande paco pads side by side.

Megamid all the way baby. It goes up in less than a minute if you have a good system. For me its 4 carabiners on the corners out to the handles (depending on your boat dimensions it might be a d-ring). The side wall guy-line points go out on my oar locks (I have those unnecessarily long NRS ones that stick out far). The front and rear guy-line points are bungee cords to the front and rear d-rings. With the tent closed the front passenger well is the perfect changing area. Plenty of headroom for those intimate nights without the kid and dogs...

The other cool thing about the medamid, compared to some non-freestanding tents is the the pole doesn't have to be perfectly centered. We have extended it a bit longer so it rests on the cooler going to the roof at an angle and giving us a little more shoulder space - something crucial when camping on a boat with a wife, child, and two big dogs.

My friends on the grand rowing the PRO gear boats that had full deck hatches set up their tents on the boats using weird systems with their rain flies. It seemed like a bit of a nuisance but it was an August trip.

Another friend with a bimini found the perfect size rain fly from one of those massive tents that just goes over the whole thing. You can buy custom one that do this but $$$.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3007.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	36549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	36551  

Name:	DSCN3255.jpg