Sleeping on your raft... Lets see your setup - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Here is my sleeping on boat setup. Barely visible through the door is a roll-a-cot. It has such a wet-dog look because that night before was a micro-burst deluge and the river flashed while I was sleeping(not during lighting, thunder and burst) on boat(red mud deposit on bank).

The tent is a Walrus Hurricane Hole. It seems tailor made to set up on a boat especially considering that it is a hoop rain fly, hence no center pole to get in the way as with pyramid tents.

Hilleberg makes similar hoop flys(fly pitchable without internal tent). Unfortunately, Walrus and Hillebergs are not cheap tents. Maybe someone make a cheaper hoop.

Note that I can move that raft-flipping-high-back-captains-seat around to suite the occasion. There was a beach front happy hour the night before. This was back when camping at the mouth of Kanab Ck was allowed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet dog cataraft 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	36613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet dog cataraft 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	620.2 KB
ID:	36615  

GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Hailey, Idaho
No photos handy, but my sleeping rig (on either my 15' or my old 16') has worked pretty well over the years.
What I did was take some 3/4" plywood (I think it was 3/4"...) and cut two boards out of it the exact shape and size of my folding river table's (the one that NRS sells) top. I even drilled holes in the exact spots where my river table has holes.
I covered them in Spar, and now they ride just on top of my table, which rides on top of my drop bag in the front bay. The table has always just been the lid for the drop bag (and I'd strap it there such that it could hinge during the day to access things) and the seat for passengers. These two boards just rig right on top of it (or below it, if you want your table during the day for lunch without having to move these boards).
At night, the table is probably on the beach so it's out of the way. I take those two boards, lay them across my rower's bay, inline with the boat. So they straddle the distance between the dry box that I sit on while rowing and the cooler in front of me. A long cam strap goes from either the oar locks or the frame, through some holes across the boards, snug down, and they're bomber. Nice big platform. If I'm sleeping alone, I just bring one board.
This set works well with the aforementioned megamid shelter, if needed.
Just another idea.
UseTheSpinMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
I found that the legs of my roll-a-cot fit great on the side rails of my 14' boat:

Name:	IMG_1517.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	36777
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Blue River, Colorado
Solo Rig

Folding lounge chair with the legs cut off, a SportBrella mounted in an oarlock stand, and mosquito netting work on a small RMR cataraft. Sportbrellas are nice on shore too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BigPhat Sleep2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	36929  
kneth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneth View Post
Folding lounge chair with the legs cut off, a SportBrella mounted in an oarlock stand, and mosquito netting work on a small RMR cataraft. Sportbrellas are nice on shore too.
Hmmm
I dig the folding chair with the cutoff legs idea. Got any pics?
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
That Coleman Peak 1 Feather 400 stove is as rugged as you can get, they work in freezing weather and high altitude, unlike the canister backpack stoves.
Good eye to spot that little stove amongst all my crap. And youre right about it being bomb proof. I got it for a trip to Mexico a couple of decades ago because it'll burn fuels other than white gas. (I think thats why I got it anyway...) It serves as a backup in the bottom of my drybox and goes neglected for years at a time but has never failed when needed.

I'm liking the campfire in an ammo can idea too. I'll use that one. Thnx
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Note that I can move that raft-flipping-high-back-captains-seat around to suite the occasion.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Glad we got that straightened out
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
double or single wide

I've got a little thermarest cot tent with mesh for buggy conditions as a single. I haven't figured out if any of the too many tents I have has a fly that is the right size/shape to go over the bimini for storms with wind.

As a double, the middle legs of the roll-a-cots rest on the rectangular cross rails (Recretec frame), with the boxes keeping it from sliding off. The outside legs rest on the raft itself, on an area I have applied an extra urethane layer as a frame chafing strip. The single just rests on the rails. As a bit of serendipity, I haven't modified anything; the cot leg spacing just happens to work perfectly.

As you can see, it makes a great spot for an afternoon nap as well. On the Grand Canyon, we also ended up putting the solar shower up on the bimini (you can see it up there in the double-wide shot), making showering in the front of the boat an easy thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grand Canyon 2016 546.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	36935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Krista.PNG
Views:	67
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	36937  

Old 24 Minutes Ago   #19

Blue River, Colorado
photo of lounge chair with legs cut down

From Lowes, about $40? Does not fold down completely, but it's flat and comfy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6151.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	37335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6149.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	37337  

kneth is online now   Reply With Quote