side bar to drift boat/dory discusion - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-18-2015   #1

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
side bar to drift boat/dory discusion

What is a drift boat vs a dory? One difference that comes to mind is that there are many commercial manufacturers of drift boats using a variety of materials; fiberglass, wood, aluminum or plastic. All of the decked river dories I have seen were produced by hand from plywood. Does anyone know of a manufacture building a river dory using other materials?

I know Boulder Boat Works once made a decked river dory from thermo welded plastic, but they have discontinued it.

kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2015   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
Does anyone know of a manufacture building a river dory using other materials?
Lavro
Old 12-18-2015   #3

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
Hog Island makes a honeycomb core thermo-plastic and NRS makes a sweet inflatable drift boat.
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I know Boulder Boat Works once made a decked river dory from thermo welded plastic, but they have discontinued it.[/QUOTE]

They made 2 proto types only (if I remember correctly) and after they found out it would cost above $16,000 each (their cost) they quit even trying.

I begged them for one years ago and got a resounding no way.
Old 12-19-2015   #5

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I visited the Boulder BW shop a few weeks ago, mostly looking at their trailers. The guy who showed me around was a nice guy. I know you can buy their high side boat as a kit. I'm guessing you could negotiate a hull only price and then build your own decking. Should be pretty solid.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015   #6

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
Sorry... Hog Island makes a hpd resin roto-molded one piece with attachable decking. The more I look into them, the more I want one.

Drift Boats | Strongest Drift Boats & Skiffs | Hog Island
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015   #7

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
A few years back we rented a Hog Island drift boat at Flaming Gorge Lodge. That thing was soooo heavy it was a true pig on the water. They may have lightened the newer ones. Indestructible yes, maneuverable, not even in your dreams.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015   #8

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
I have seen a few aluminum dories, however I can't remember who made them. I remember one was homemade and it was well built.

I have seen some Fiberglass ones, I'm thinking Lavro. `

Most all I know are Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
What is a drift boat vs a dory? One difference that comes to mind is that there are many commercial manufacturers of drift boats using a variety of materials; fiberglass, wood, aluminum or plastic. All of the decked river dories I have seen were produced by hand from plywood. Does anyone know of a manufacture building a river dory using other materials?

I know Boulder Boat Works once made a decked river dory from thermo welded plastic, but they have discontinued it.
willieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015   #9

Northern, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
My sense is no one makes an aluminum dory as regular production but I've heard of Hyde decking over some of their boats for whitewater as custom order. Occasionally they pop up on Craigslist. Lavro made a few from glass.

I have one apparently made by the original owners of Down river by some guys at Tempte trailer in Denver around 1978 (I'm third owner). If you can find an aluminum dory, they're a bit cold or hot to touch depending on prevailing weather, but tougher than nails. Nearly 40 years old, its been all over the southwest and a bit of Idaho water and still going strong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1451102163.592180.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	10824  
ChunderFest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015   #10

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
This discussion has made me curios about the range of materials used in boat construction and what they weight. Here is a result of a quick survey of manufacturers websites, all for a high side style drift boat approx. 16' long, or as similar as I could find...

manufacturer - material - weight
Boulder Boat Works - VHMW-PE plastic - 177 lbs
Hog Island - roto moulded PVC - 450 lbs
Hyde - fiberglass - 305 lbs
Hyde - aluminum - 275 lbs
Clakacraft - fiberglass - 260 lbs
NRS - inflatable PVC + frame - 330 lbs
wood - could only find kits - 220 to 290 lbs

Quite a range in there, I expect this would make a large difference in how they row as well. I was surprised to see the inflatable model comes in on the heavy side.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote