Shoal Cut Blades - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-11-2015   #1

SLC, Utah
Shoal Cut Blades

I have been looking at the Sawyer Shoal Cut blades for high performance in low water scenarios. Just wondering if anyone on here has tried them out. I'm particularly interested in if they really give you that much more purchase on the water in the low low where you gotta makes moves. Instead of just scratching away with the tips of your square end blades. With the snowpack the way it is these could be a nice change to my setup for my trips this year, especially down the top end of the Middle fork come August. Although they are spendy, but I guess that's Sawyer for you. I would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

screamingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015   #2

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
They look cool but I've never run them. Spendy and slightly longer. Hmmmm
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #3

On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
they look sweet

I'm interested in these as well, the shape looks really cool and seems like it could be revolutionary as far as blades go for low water. I hate just being able to use the tips of my blades to move a large raft around when its low. If these allow you to grab more water that could be key in making certain strokes when needed. Anything I can do to help me get stuck less would be awesome, but I ain't leavin the beer behind!
DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015   #4

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I've run them in driftboats but I honestly didn't notice anything mind blowing. I suspect that some of this is because I was in a foreign boat where it's hard to tell what feeling comes from what attribute. I have not run them in my raft or done a side by side but most of my friends in drifters use them and swear they can tell a difference....FWTW.
Old 05-12-2015   #5

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Ive got a pair and they do bite a little better in shallow water. Not that much better to justify the cost, considering you are beating them on rocks anyway. Get a couple of junk carlisle blades and thump em. I got to feeling foolish for spending the money (even at proform price) and now they reside on my fishing setup.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #6

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I've heard that the downside is that they can feel "pushy" in normal whitewater conditions. Don't know it that's true- love my dynalite wides.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015   #7

SLC, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
I've heard that the downside is that they can feel "pushy" in normal whitewater conditions. Don't know it that's true- love my dynalite wides.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I could see why someone might say that, however, it seems like that would be an issue only if you were running oar rights in your locks. If your feathering your oars then I don't see that it would be an issue as you could just twist your wrist and come clear of the pushy water. I gotta say I really like the concept and the design but $320 for a new set of blades is crazy.
screamingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #8

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I love my dynalites and whole heartedly endorse them, especially if you break a lot of plastic blades. The shoal cut are simply specially shaped dynalites and the price is the same as the symmetrical blades. My DL's have certainly saved me money of the last 8 years, but it is a hard initial pill to swallow.
Old 05-14-2015   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
What is a "pushy" oar? Not familiar with that term...
Old 05-19-2015   #10

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
Get a couple of junk carlisle blades and thump em.
Or maybe even get some junk Carlisles and cut/shape the bottom to mimic the Shoal Cuts shape, thereby getting more of the blade in the water at shallow water?
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blade