Shaw and Tenney Wooden Oars - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-18-2018   #1

Augusta, Maine
Paddling Since: 1990
Shaw and Tenney Wooden Oars

https://www.shawandtenney.com/produc...lat-blade-oars
Anyone familiar with this company and the traditional oars that they make. I am looking at a new set of sticks and thought they might just be the ticket in ash. Price is comparable to polecates and cutthroat blades.

blackfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2018   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I know they're pretty much THE commercial oar that all other (non-whitewater) oars are judged by. Price comparable to Polecats/cutthroats, but quality is better than Smokers. I would highly recommend you add fiberglass tips for whitewater use.

Smokers are designed for commercial use/abuse, and S&T oars are more finely made and balanced for private use. I wouldn't say they're delicate, but I wouldn't recommend abusing them, either. I have an acquaintance in Maine who speaks highly of them.

I'm jealous as hell...but you're also close enough to go pick them up from the factory...and if you get a tour, I'll be doubly jealous.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018   #3

Augusta, Maine
Thank you for the comparison. Yes they are just up the road and yes I would opt for a tour. I like wood, but the polecat and cut throats have my attention because of all the shallow water out here. As you mention I could just glass the wood blades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I have been pricing 8'6" oars for one of my boats. If I am reading the websites correctly it appears Smokers are sold per each, while Shaw and Tenney sell by the pair. It was $379 for one Smoker or $429 for a pair of S and T. I've had a 4-oar set of what are probably Smokers for 30+ years that are still as strong as new. So durability of ash is impressive. And they look marvelous.
Domar Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domar Dave View Post
I have been pricing 8'6" oars for one of my boats. If I am reading the websites correctly it appears Smokers are sold per each, while Shaw and Tenney sell by the pair. It was $379 for one Smoker or $429 for a pair of S and T. I've had a 4-oar set of what are probably Smokers for 30+ years that are still as strong as new. So durability of ash is impressive. And they look marvelous.

Barkley Sound oars would also be worth looking at (and shipping may be less of a killer).
http://www.barkleysoundoar.com/Product.htm#products

Or if it's Ash you seek, and 8'-6", try to find a set of Gulls.

I passed a used set for $50 a few years ago and have been kicking myself since....and saw a nearly new set of 9' Gulls for $50 last week.. I didn't need 9' oars, but I snapped them up!!!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018   #6

Augusta, Maine
About $50 dollars difference between polecats with duramax blades and counterbalance compared to the Shaw and Tenney(S&T) 9' ash oars. S&T does price their oars as pairs. They are 3 weeks out on their oars because the make them as ordered. Decisions.

Out here in Maine used oars, rafts, cats, drift boats are far and few between.
Old 09-20-2018   #7

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
if you find any more deals like that, let me know, and I'll come out to MT and get them!
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018   #8
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
The old gull oars didn't have fiberglass on the blade and I boat with peoples who still use them. Including a 30 year old pair with no tip protection. Ash is stout.