self bailing floor lacing - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-08-2014   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
self bailing floor lacing

I recently bought an older 14' Hyside raft. I removed the floor to replace a patch and to inspect it a little better. Now to lace it back in, I forget whether the floor flange goes above or below the tube flange for lacing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060218.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	7524  

billn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
I removed a DRE floor a few months ago and noted the floor flange went below the boat flange. It was laced in with 4 pieces of webbing starting at the nose and tail of the boat. The webbing met in the middle on each side. Each piece was 18' long. The boat measures 15'6". Hope this helps.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
For all the well made boats, the manufactuerer will generally have detailed instructions, which is the case with hysides:
HYSIDE ~ whitewater inflatables
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Been there - went there first - has a link to lacing floors, read it and not a word on what I'm looking for. Unbelieveable, or I'm missing something really obvious.
Old 01-08-2014   #5

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by billn View Post
I forget whether the floor flange goes above or below the tube flange for lacing?
The floor flange is above the tube flange on my boat.
Old 01-08-2014   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
mine has the floor on top

here's a pic of how it's laced...
Attachment 7525

I believe it has been relaced before but not by me so I can't vouch for the "correctness" of the install.
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Emailed Hyside too, just got the reply, they say floor flange goes on top of boat/tube flange. Different then your DRE caverdan, and thanks for your reply too. This old Hyside has one long piece of lacing, kind of like 1" nylon webbing, start at the middle of one side and goes all the way around. Guess I'm putting floor on top, if anyone has any other input I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2014   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Good photo elkhaven, I've got the same configuration of grommets/flanges, that helps a lot, thanks. Thought I would remember it all as I tore it apart - what was I thinking? Maybe see you on one of the local rivers this year.
Old 01-08-2014   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by billn View Post
Good photo elkhaven, I've got the same configuration of grommets/flanges, that helps a lot, thanks. Thought I would remember it all as I tore it apart - what was I thinking? Maybe see you on one of the local rivers this year.
My pleasure. Didn't notice originally that you were from Boz Angeles. I'll look for a big blue hyside, there really aren't that many around here. Mine will hopefully be under new ownership come summer. It's for sale if you know anyone looking as we got a new boat this fall. Good luck with the relace, as you can tell mine needs it as well. One of these long winter evenings I'll have to tackle it, but I'm secretly hoping a new owner will do it instead.
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Sounds like de ja vu, all over again... Bought mine from a fellow bozangelino, said the floor had a slow leak, it did. The pressure relief valve was leaking - took it apart and cleaned it, it works now. And then the donut patch around the fill valve leaked, peeled and replaced that, I think I'm good to go, it's holding air. The boat has a lot of use but holds air well - reglued some peeling patches/d-rings. I'll piece together a fishing frame. this is replacing my drift boat which I loaned out and the guy wrapped it on a bridge pier on the Yellowstone just down stream from Livingston - totaled it. Figure I'll try a raft this time. Never heard of Hyside until I started looking. Should be on the water for some pre-runoff fishing in a month or two. Your picture helps a lot, thanks.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070225.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	7526