Seeking Advice re Fishing Raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-17-2010   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Seeking Advice re Fishing Raft

I'm considering purchasing a raft for fly fishing. I'm looking at the Aire Super Puma, NRS Otter, and Down River Adventure. My questions re these boats are:

1. What's the best overall fishing rig for floating the Ark, Colorado, and similar rivers?
2. What's the most stable boat?
3. Is the Super Puma spacious enough for three guys on an overnight trip?
4. Should I be considering any other boats in this price point?

Thanks for your thoughts.

ndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Super Puma is way too small for three guys on an overnighter. They are super narrow and they have really small tubes. If you are thinking about ovenight trips, I would go with a 14ft boat. I recently had this debate and ended up going with a 14ft over a 13ft and have zero regrets. I also struggled with what brand to go with and wound up choosing a Saturn. I am an old Hyside guy, but I just couldn't ignore the fact that I could get a raft, trailer, frame, and a 5 year warranty for less than it would cost for just the boat from the other manufacturers. Again, no regrets on that decision either. With the boats you mentioned, the Aire will be the least stable.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #3

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
otter 14' length, 6'6" width (142 maybe?) perfect setup for fishing and river running - small enough for smaller rivers of CO and WY but big enough for larger western rivers. bighorn 2 frame, cooler up front, box in the back. plenty of room left for three people and their gear. it works well for me and is at a great price point when compared to similar maravias and sotars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Look into the vanguards - alot of fishermen are going this route. Good price point, bomber PVC. The reason so many Vanguards are being used as a fishing platform is the floor - it is super stiff, so much so that casting platforms are not needed in these boats, saves weight and $$. I love mine - fun to row, great to fish from. Have a 14ft., good sized boat. Vanguard does make a 15 ft version, same dimensions as the 14ft raft, just 10" longer - I would've got one of these if one had been available, just a little more room for gear.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
I concur w/ watermonkey. Picked up a 14' vanguard a few years ago. I don't have all the frame accessories for fly fishing but with the bighorn frame it holds all the gear for multi-day trips and with the stiff floor it makes fly fishing work. One thing that I need to get is a thigh bar in the back. A little tough for the person in the back to get a good stance for fishing all day. Took it on the upper colorado for two nights of camping, 3 people and 2 labs and had room to make it all happen. The PVC and wrap around the perimeter makes it bomb proof.
ssoren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #6
td

I liked my 13' boat for fishing, but for all around river trips I have a 14' now- it's a lot nicer on longer trips, but if I was doing mostly day trips and a couple short overnighters, I'd still have the 13' boat.
td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #7

Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some research on Vanguard rafts. Anyone know anything about the Super Duper Puma?
ndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #8

Idaho, Wyoming
sd puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavis View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some research on Vanguard rafts. Anyone know anything about the Super Duper Puma?

super duper puma is a great 3 person fishing boat and will handle overnites for three persons depending on the water you run and how you rig the boat. if you want an angler both front and rear on overnights, then the rower really needs to sit on a cooler (as opposed to a tractor seat) or you will be fighting for space. with a table/drop bag across the front for two people to sit on and the rear for gear, this set up will do extended trips for three comfortably.

i wouldn't waste money on floors and bars for standing up to fish on a super or s/d puma, it is not only unecessary but makes it much more difficult to get in and out. standing is for driftboats and people learning to fish/cast. a puma will take you through places that you can't get a drift boat through and if you don't pile tons of extra frame parts on it, you can carry/drag it in or out of places that you can't get a trailer to.

if your a bird hunter or have dogs, rafts are way easier to get dogs in and out of and the boat won't tip from side to side when two dogs go back and forth-which mine always do.

as a fishing guide i have the luxury of being able to justify owning 3 rafts, 2 cats and a drift boat. if i had to own one boat it would be the s/d puma with an nrs frame because of it's versatility and ease of adjustment.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #9

Idaho, Wyoming
fishn raft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavis View Post
i also work with an outfitter using maravias and the diablo is a really nice boat of similar proportions.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #10

SE, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1991
I concur w/ billfish
smallie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting