Securing Raft & Gear to Trailer? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-27-2017   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm interested to hear how most folks secure (if they do at all) their raft and equipment when inflated and rigged with dry box and cooler, etc in a public place like a hotel parking lot or similar.

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Blue straps and the brightest light I can park under are my deterrence. I also like parking where I can see it from my room, but it's not like I watch all night.

I wonder if it's possible to put a car alarm on a trailer- the kind that goes off if somebody bumps the boat or moves the trailer?
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #3

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by readNrun View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm interested to hear how most folks secure (if they do at all) their raft and equipment when inflated and rigged with dry box and cooler, etc in a public place like a hotel parking lot or similar.

I hate having the trailer parked outside a hotel, I end up looking out of the window half the night! Sometimes staff will help you by suggesting best places to park etc and the 24 hr desk places are better. In honesty we usually elect to camp for this reason. It means that when we take a massive road trip for a river I always feel like we can't go off and do any side trip explorations en route.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
I've secured the raft to the trailer using a long cable and a lock. I run the cable around part of the trailer and the through the floor and around part of the frame. They pretty much have to cut the cable unless they want to ruin the raft or trailer. Suppose it's easy enough if you have bolt cutters, but at least it makes it a little more difficult. For my cooler and anything else in drop bags, I lock them under my topper.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017   #5

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This is exactly what I do as well. I run the cable through my drybox as well and if I'm lazy I'll do the same through the handles of my drybags too. Anything of any significant value I lock up in the car but I would say most of the stuff can have a cable run through it.

As you pointed out, someone who really wants the stuff can bring bolt cutters but it helps prevent someone from just walking by and dragging something onto their nearby truck.

Here's an off-the-shelf cable that works well.
Old 05-28-2017   #6
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
I don't have a trailer yet, but I have a buddy who leaves his boat trailered in town all the time...
He uses sections of chain running thru the bailing holes in his boat, thru a hole in the trailer deck, and around one of the trailers steel beams. Doesn't secure the gear, just the boat. Might not work if you don't have a lace-in floor tho...

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Works on a lace in floor. Just go over your tube and through the floor. Either cut the cable or the raft tube if you take it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
ADMIN NOTE - this thread was created from another thread about a stolen raft. Some posts have been edited to remove content related to the stolen boat thread.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Goddamn Thieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshutt View Post
I hate having the trailer parked outside a hotel, I end up looking out of the window half the night! Sometimes staff will help you by suggesting best places to park etc and the 24 hr desk places are better.
I know the feeling. One of the things I do is to tarp the boat with a plain gray tarp so potential thieves don't see all those bright, shiny, expensive looking things sitting out under the motel parking lot lights. If possible I like to park it in sight of the room just in case I happen to look out during the 3 minutes someone's ripping the boat off (more likely it will allow me to state "...between 3 am and 7 am" on a police report). I've noticed at home that when the boat's in the front yard without a tarp, it gets a glance from almost every car that comes by, when it's tarped, no one looks that way.

At restaurants, I try to find a table where I can sit in view of the boat. And like to leave someone out with it when when grocery shopping. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshutt View Post
...In honesty we usually elect to camp for this reason. It means that when we take a massive road trip for a river I always feel like we can't go off and do any side trip explorations en route.
This is one of the saddest things to me, feeling like I have to camp (when not wanting to) or avoid side attractions on a trip with the boat because I don't want to leave my trailered boat at the trailhead parking lot for fear someone will steal or vandalize it. To me, this is one more way thieves steal from us, steal from from our quality of life, that is deducted in a less tangible way.

I'd love to go check out the Trail Through Time but just don't feel like leaving the boat and exposed gear out there.

The crap we have to go through because some people like to steal stuff.

Best of luck,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote