Securing Gear in Stern - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

NE, Oregon
Funny the two holes in floors that I have first hand experience with occurred when rocks got to the dry box, which were suspended but have contact with the floor.

I am of the opinion that you want your tubes to carry the weight, I run a tail. Then thread two long loop straps through/over the pile and use roller cams to secure to an interior stern d ring.

Willie 1.5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I've always had a beaver tail (my dad calls it a turtle board). It hangs with straps from the frame and D rings. I like keeping hard items, like groovers or propane tanks, off the floor. I'm almost always called on to bring my kitchen, which is an army surplus dry box, that fits snugly in the rear of the boat (14' SOTAR). I can pile other stuff on the top of that.

As far as securing it all - I used to have a cargo net but got rid of it after my fingers got caught it in while I was swimming Lava. Nothing broken but shredded some of my fingers. My brother-in-law just uses a bunch of straps. I think the King Sling, a tarp, or something similar, is the best way to go.