Seating options - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-27-2017   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Seating options

So there's this high back tractor seat for sale, but shipping brings it up to about $75.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Seats/...EAT-1-5062.axd

Buuuut I think I want the low back seat that NRS sells. However I have zero experience rowing on any seat other than the hard plank of wood that wore holes in my waders. So anything is a step up in the world, I'm just trying to make all the right moves the first go round.

Pros/cons of high back vs low back drain hole seats? Personal preferences? I just spent all my monies on a new frame and this is the last thing I gotta buy before I can hit the water (unless I want to strap a board to the frame like the pleb I was).

fishingraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017   #2

., .
The NRS seats are tractor seats sourced from MISCO. NRS's previous generation seats with the metal pan under the cushion and without drain hole was sourced from Michigan Tractor Seats.

Previously, I've been able to source the MISCO low-back tractor seats on eBay & Amazon for less than NRS asks.

Cheers!

PS...I personally don't like the hi-back as a rower. However, they're great for passengers.
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017   #3

Central Point, Oregon
Adding a seat to a bay with a cooler or box is going to add a significant height increase and potensially change your rowing geometry. There are other options to adress padding your rump if that is the goal. Using a stack of bags for a back rest is a great option if your on a long trip.

I am not a fan of high back seats as they limit mobility and take away from my pulling strength.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdoghenry View Post
The NRS seats are tractor seats sourced from MISCO. NRS's previous generation seats with the metal pan under the cushion and without drain hole was sourced from Michigan Tractor Seats.

Previously, I've been able to source the MISCO low-back tractor seats on eBay & Amazon for less than NRS asks.

Cheers!

PS...I personally don't like the hi-back as a rower. However, they're great for passengers.

Thanks for the intel. I'll search around. And yea, between your advice and the poster's opinion below your comment, I think the high back seat is not my preferred option. Low back it is.

Anyone have a used one for sale?
Old 02-27-2017   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
Adding a seat to a bay with a cooler or box is going to add a significant height increase and potensially change your rowing geometry. There are other options to adress padding your rump if that is the goal. Using a stack of bags for a back rest is a great option if your on a long trip.

I am not a fan of high back seats as they limit mobility and take away from my pulling strength.

I'll do 80% of all rowing without much gear/equipment other than fishing stuff. So I won't have bags, boxes, etc. to lean on. I'm pretty well sold on a seat at this point. Thanks for your advice on high-backs! I think I'm going to avoid them for the rower seat.

I'll have this seat mounted to the seat plate on my frame:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1488251852.410899.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	14706
Old 02-27-2017   #6

Meridian, Idaho
I have spent time in both the NRS low and high back seats over the past couple of years. I like th range of motion the lowback provides but you can really brace up tight with the highback when things get rough. Ive never been dumptrucked out of the highback, cant say the same for the lowback.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017   #7

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Seats

My old back likes the high back seat, more support and gives that spot in the mid to low spine a rest.
Old 03-18-2017   #8

Ridgway, Colorado
I've been using these for years.
Sun Trike Saddle Western TIW Black
Simple and cheap.
Only complaint is that it gets hot in the sun.
rtsideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
It depends on what kind of river you run. Low back is nice for whitewater, when you need more room for arm/shoulder movement, and you don't spend much time sitting back in your seat. If you do more flat water a high back seat definitely has comfort advantages. If you frequently camp on the river the DRE and Riverworks captains chairs are nice. They detach from the frame and can be used as a very comfy camp chair.
jwburdge is offline   Reply With Quote