Search for durable tent for summer raft guide camping. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 02-18-2017  

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Search for durable tent for summer raft guide camping.

So,

I need a heavy duty tent that I will more than likely be living out of for several months during rafting season. What are your reccomendations?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017  

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Are you looking for a large tent that you can stand up inside or small / ultra light or etc ?? Cool name by the way.
Old 02-18-2017  

C. Springs, Colorado
I'd go with a Coleman for a couple of reasons. Nylon fades in the sun if set up for months at a time. No matter what you get, the weather is going to effect it in some way. If you go cheap like with Coleman, you use it and toss it when your done. Also people are less likely to steal a cheap tent over something like a north face or marmot. The floor of the Coleman is made of plastic tarp material and does a great job of keeping out ground run off during a rain. I used one for years and now it's my loaner tent. I went with a Kelty this time and love the quick set up, but miss the window feature of the Coleman.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rodtag25641-20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017  

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Caver makes some good points. My concern would be strength of the tent in adverse weather as well as having a fly that covers the tent walls to keep out moisture from driving rains. You can buy a replacement fly if it gets compromised by uv and other issues by being set up all summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 02-18-2017  

Denver, Colorado
If you plan on dropping it every time you're gone for a trip, nylon will be fine, but if you're going to leave it up all summer, I'd go with a wall tent. I know of one on Rokslide that a buddy is selling that's down in Fairplay area. I think it's 10x12, the canvas will do much better than nylon if up all summer.
Let us know where you're guiding and if you'll have to move it every 2 weeks (living in National Forest) or if you're on some land that can leave it up all summer.
Tents are great, if it's you're home, it's even better to have some room to stand up in!
Old 02-18-2017  

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I'd think about some sort of modern tipi. I've spent time living in tents and standing up and having room can be key. I bought one of these last year and have been very impressed: Ruta Locura PentMid

They seem to be the most cost effective option. I don't think I'd drop a grand on an ultra lite version to leave out every day, but $400 is about right. Plenty of room for a cot, chair and a table, very sturdy in the wind.

A wall tent would be nice too but much harder to set and move if you need to stay ahead of the forest service.
Old 02-18-2017  

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
I agree that it depends on if you'll be leaving it up long term. I spent a couple summers in AK living out of a Costco family size tent. I went to the dump to salvage pallets & ply wood to make a platform to keep it off the ground. The platform was longer in the front to make a front porch area big enough for 2 lawn chairs. I covered the whole thing with a propped up big ass tarp that was staked out with bungee shock cords that helped with wind gusts. For me keeping the thing dry was priority #1. The extra tarp is key to help whatever rainfly it might have & protecting it from the sun is very important too. I also bought scrap carpet pieces to put down inside. For dirt bagging it seemed pretty sweet at the time...
Old 02-18-2017  

Fort Collins, Colorado
My sister spent last summer in a Coleman Weathermaster tent and she loved it. It's a bit more complicated to set up and pricey for a Coleman, but she said it was very luxurious and being able to actually stand up and move around was awesome. She was setup in the same spot all summer. Probably wouldn't recommend that tent if you have to move frequently since the setup is more extensive. That was an upgrade for her from a pretty standard Marmot tent, which was easier to set up but not so nice to live in long-term.
I agree with the Coleman recommendation in general. They may not be quite as fancy and lightweight as more expensive brands, but I think their durability is superior. The bathtub style tarp floor is very stout. The rain flys are decent and you can always add a cheap tarp for extra protection, top and bottom. And since they're cheap you can just discard at the end of the summer if it gets too banged up, although I wouldn't do that with the Weathermaster since it's a little pricier.
Old 02-18-2017  

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
If your leaving it up for long periods of time I would go with a canvas wall tent that is large enough to stand up in and set up a large cot. If your breaking it down and setting it up everyday I would go with a tent that is made to setup easily and fast. I purchased a Lightspeed tent just for the ease and speed of setup and breakdown on rafting trips. I was also surprised at the quality of the materials and quality workmanship of Lightspeed tents although there are other brands of fast style tents.
Old 02-18-2017  

Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a canvas wall tent I might part with cheap. It's older but in good shape. It has a vestibule are and sleeping area. It's bulking and needs a duffle so I would want to set it up every day. I'm in Louisville PM me if interested.