Screwing my trailer - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2015   #1

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
Screwing my trailer

I spent a lot of money on beautiful new stainless self tapping screw in order to secure the new treated wood deck on my aluminum trailer. Vibrations on the road have caused almost all of them to work their way out. Even with red locktite. How do I do it properly?

FatGuynaLitlBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
carriage bolts
Grifgav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifgav View Post
carriage bolts
With washers on the bottom. Another alternative would be to put square "U" brackets to hold the plywood down, which basically staples the plywood to the trailer. I like the idea of the carriage bolts better, though. I've got a nice, stiff 2,400 lb axle on my 300 lb modified sled bed trailer. When there's not any weight on it for the shuttle, that thing bounces all over the place and the Torx bolts work themselves out.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015   #4

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Of course I don't know exactly what type of self taper you used but I'd wonder if you used the wood to metal specific trailer decking screws. I've used them on numerous trailers with no loosening issues at all. I just get them at my local true value but they look very much like this :Trailer Floor Repair Screws

As far as a remedy using what you've got - if you have access to the bottom of the screws, you could retighten them, then tap each enough to bend it. That may keep it from loosening. If you ever want to remove them, just pound them flat and they'll break, then just unscrew. Not the most elegant fix but it might work...???
Old 04-08-2015   #5
Donkey Punch

Southwest, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I second the carriage bolts. I re did all my boards two years ago, pressure treated and added a water seal ontop. Carriage bolts with large washers on the top, and nuts and lock washers on the bottom side. Bolts go through the steel cross members of the trailer. Don't tighten too much! All my boards have a slight U shape to them because they expanded once they got a little weathered....
dfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #6

pocatello, Idaho
My carriage bolts bounced out after 2 seasons and maybe 6 idaho multi day trips. Sad face. I used lock washers and nylon nuts. What did I do wrong? Getting under there is unpleasant to re-do it.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #7
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
My carriage bolts bounced out after 2 seasons and maybe 6 idaho multi day trips. Sad face. I used lock washers and nylon nuts. What did I do wrong? Getting under there is unpleasant to re-do it.
Please don't tell me that! I drilled holes for all my carriage bolts, placed the bolts in the holes, covered the entire board with Grace WaterShield, and then wrapped the boards in blue turfgrass. Underneath, I used a flat washer and a nylon locknut driven with a socket on my cordless drill. The nylon had more resistance than the square of the carriage bolt and they wanted to spin. I had to jam each bolt to keep it from turning while I tightened each nut. I don't want to ever re-do it!! Now I'm afraid to look underneath...
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #8
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
carriage bolts, fender washer, lock washer, and nylon locking nuts. That's the only way to go with bolt on applications on trailers. anything else is just wasting time and money and expecting failure.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
carriage bolts, fender washer, lock washer, and nylon locking nuts. That's the only way to go with bolt on applications on trailers. anything else is just wasting time and money and expecting failure.
I do not agree. I use fasteners specifically designed for attaching wood decks to metal frames on trailers. You will find them, not carriage bolts on nearly every production trailer on the market. I don't have a problem with any means you want to attach a deck, but in my experience wood trailer decking screws work great and last for decades. They're very simple to use and only require access to one side of the deck.
Old 04-08-2015   #10
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
I do not agree. I use fasteners specifically designed for attaching wood decks to metal frames on trailers. You will find them, not carriage bolts on nearly every production trailer on the market. I don't have a problem with any means you want to attach a deck, but in my experience wood trailer decking screws work great and last for decades. They're very simple to use and only require access to one side of the deck.
A carriage bolt only requires access to one side of the deck as well. Hell my horse trailer has carriage bolts holding the boards to the frame. Paid good money for that thing, (thousands more than for the utility trailer that hauls my raft) I'm sure more engineering thought went in to that build. and with the precious cargo it holds, I'm sure there was a reason for the stronger bolts vs. the screws. but if you're just holding some boards down on a raft trailer, it probably doesn't hurt to use the screws, you could always easily drive more in later if they back out all the way.

I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote