Sawyer Squaretop Follow Up - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-01-2015   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
Sawyer Squaretop Follow Up

Last weeK I HIGHJACKED Riverbounds thread about Sawyer not answering calls. I wanted to know what the big deal was about the Square top Dyno-Lights. You all sold me on giving these beauties a try. I put a pair to work on three different sections of the Payette over the weekend. NOW I OWN THEM.

Thanks to all who recommended these sticks. Without a doubt, this is the best upgrade I have ever made to my river kit. They are frickin surgical!! 😎

Sent from my SM-G386T using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Whetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015   #2
Caw! Caw!

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Inquiring minds want to know -- what do you like about them? I've looked at them in the store, but I've never had one in the water. I've been rowing Polecats for a long time, and I like them just fine (better than Cataracts for me). But maybe I've just never experienced true "oar nirvana."

Congrats on your purchase!
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015   #3

Boise, Idaho
Alan, many oarsmen here told me that the balance and feel were the thing that makes them nice. I agree with that for sure. They are feather light in the locks compared to my Cararacts. They have a kick when the flex comes out that realy moves my boat. They feel precision in a way. Delicate yet powerful. I think my effort in rowing is reduced buy 30% and so then is fatigue. I have not used them on a extended multiday yet but will this month. Im sure my tatered and repaired shoulders will be happier.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2015   #4
Caw! Caw!

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
From your description, they sound awesome. I may have to look into those sometime. I'm going to guess they're probably more flexible than the Polecats, but not as much as Cataracts.
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #5

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
Told ya!
Old 07-06-2015   #6

Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
Anyone want to sponsor a poverty rafter 3 of these?
Old 07-07-2015   #7

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Speaking of poverty rafting (pr) and 3 oars, my 2 mains are SGGs with pr Carlisle outfitter blades. My spare is a Carlisle batteringram with matching blade. While it would be a pain to row with one SGG and the Carlisle, I have done and survived as they are roughly similar, at least in length, blade, etc.

When you buy Smokers, Square Tops, etc., do you buy 3, and if not, what do you use for a spare?
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #8

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Cataracts with magnum blades until I sell one of the kids so I can afford more squaretops
mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #9

I think you use whatever you have for a spare, it just needs to get you by.

I carry two spares out of habit, then you could switch out for your matching set of sgg's if needed. Good for shipping the blades on of the mounted oars when stopped if nothing else.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015   #10

Boise, Idaho
So I'm rowing my Square tops and carrying two Cataracts with magnum blades as spares. However this week I put in on a quite rocky low water Middle Fork Salmon trip and I am thinking maybe I should switch this around. The top 25 miles are boney boney and hard on oars. I am thinking of saving my precious Square Tops for the bottom 75 miles and thrashing the Cataracts up top. Is this stupid or what?