Sawyer oars ever call anyone back or answer the phone? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 06-11-2015   #1
swimming

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Sawyer oars ever call anyone back or answer the phone?

I have been trying to get oars now for my boat where I bought it and the dealer says Sawyer will not return calls they have been leaving messages for a week. I emailed Sawyer and it said their system was down error. They post on Facebook constantly but don't answer the phone just goes to message. If I comment to get a call back on facebook it is just hidden, I saw another post this am someone asking the same thing about oars then it was gone? Is it just me getting this or what? Anyone have a extra set of 9' square tops for sale in the Collins area?

Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Sawyer is having major problems right now. Bummer, they mak(d)e great product.
Old 06-11-2015   #3

Email is a better way to get a response. [email protected]
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015   #4

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Last time I talked to someone there squaretops were at least 2 months out for availability, that was about a month ago, I needed 10 foot oars though, luckily we scrounged up a pair at a shop, I think nrs and cascade outfitters have them in stock
mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #5
swimming

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Nrs has 0 stock may have a local lead though on a pair that was bought as the wrong length.
Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Local shop ordered a pair of MX for me and they did show up -- there was a bit of a delay -- about 3 weeks IIRC -- but I know the main concern is with the wood.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #7

On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
They are screwed

Sawyer is currently locked in a messy legal battle with a portfolio company. If I was a betting man I would place my money on the large portfolio company winning this one by throwing vast amounts of money at it. Might be the end for Sawyer or at least as they once were. Not sure why the hell they turned over production to someone else but it obviously didn't work.

Sawyer Paddles sues manufacturer, alleging breach of contract - News - DailyTidings.com - Ashland, OR
DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #8

G.Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
For the last 15 years I have been getting oars there. When Bruce had Sawyer the place stunk of sawdust and varnish and there were always a shop full of people working. I could get any oar I wanted ANYTIME just by stopping in. When the new owner took over it seemed all the skilled labor disappeared and it was replaced with office people and ambassadors and all about being celebrity like and tweeting and facebooking and instagramming. I was at the little festival they had in gold hill and now they pump gas , serve espresso and even alcohol in the lobby I believe. So my position is the owner doesn't want or know how to do hard labor like Bruce who built that business up with his hands working in the shop, showing employees how to make an oar. It seems from the local newspaper read he was selling out to have someone else do all the work so he could sip espresso and count money. That's what happens to companies when they take the mentality of they don't need the laborers and the higher ups only matter. Guess what its the hard working man who is the brand not some CEO goof in a fancy shirt with a smile. That's why America is in this dumper no one wants to work anymore they like to play and look fancy. If you build it yourself no one can take that from you

Excuse me can we stop pumping gas and serving Espresso so I can get a freaking oar please?
RogueRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015   #9
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRat View Post
For the last 15 years I have been getting oars there. When Bruce had Sawyer the place stunk of sawdust and varnish and there were always a shop full of people working. I could get any oar I wanted ANYTIME just by stopping in. When the new owner took over it seemed all the skilled labor disappeared and it was replaced with office people and ambassadors and all about being celebrity like and tweeting and facebooking and instagramming. I was at the little festival they had in gold hill and now they pump gas , serve espresso and even alcohol in the lobby I believe. So my position is the owner doesn't want or know how to do hard labor like Bruce who built that business up with his hands working in the shop, showing employees how to make an oar. It seems from the local newspaper read he was selling out to have someone else do all the work so he could sip espresso and count money. That's what happens to companies when they take the mentality of they don't need the laborers and the higher ups only matter. Guess what its the hard working man who is the brand not some CEO goof in a fancy shirt with a smile. That's why America is in this dumper no one wants to work anymore they like to play and look fancy. If you build it yourself no one can take that from you

Excuse me can we stop pumping gas and serving Espresso so I can get a freaking oar please?
Well said sir
Old 06-25-2015   #10

Frisco, Colorado
I'm having similar issues... we're still waiting on 2-10' Square Tops that I ordered in April. Such a bummer!!
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote