SAWYER CLOSE OUT MX OAR

malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Thanks for the heads up!

Sawyer's web site, like this ad, continues to confuse me. I see MX or MXS oars listed but can find no mention of the MXG or MXFG shafts most local and online retailers sell.

Are these MX shafts an earlier or lower price point version?
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #3

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
duct tape - The MX stand for multi axis (or something like that) and the F & G stand for fiberglass and graphite. As far as I know an MX oar, is an MX oar. Where I have seen the pricing vary was with the rope wrap and stopper. I could be missing more here, but this what I understand. I do not own a pair of these but have rowed with them for a day. Sweet oar.

This website is selling the blems or factory seconds, which is still a an awesome deal even if you cannot get a matching set. The discount would help offset the painful cost of shipping these.
Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
Thanks for the heads up!

Sawyer's web site, like this ad, continues to confuse me. I see MX or MXS oars listed but can find no mention of the MXG or MXFG shafts most local and online retailers sell.

Are these MX shafts an earlier or lower price point version?
Sawyer has been going through some name changes to try and make things less confusing. Hopefully, it will all start to make sense. They make 2 size diameters and 2 stiffnesses in the MX Series. The smaller diameter is the standard size, same size as Carlisle, Advanced Composite (Cataract), and Sawyer Polecats. All blades for these oars should be interchangeable. Those used to be designated with an "S" by Sawyer (MXS-F/G and MXS-G). The standard diameter is now just referred to as MX.

The larger diameter was referred to as the Outfitter or Large diameter. For the most part, we were the only retailer that stocked the Large Diameter. Starting next year, we will be stocking more standard diameter than large. The Large Diameter is now referred to as MXL.

They are also loosing the F/G designation (less stiff) and what used to be called the F/G will now just be the MX. The stiffer G series, will be referred to as MX-G or MXL-G. I hope that did not confuse things more and I hope I got that everything I said is correct.

Sincerely,
Zach
Down River Equipment
Down River Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013   #5
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Good questions and thanks Zach. Appreciate if you would confirm if I have this right:

MX is the oar. Under the old system, F was for fiberglass, and thus the MX-F. Now it's just MX, because they really don't need the F and never did. All the oars are fiberglass, it's just that some have a layer of graphite too. So, and MX is an MX, but could be more if you add some options.

Under the new system, if you add the optional graphite layer, it becomes an MXG.

The only thing left is shaft size. The standard is the same diameter as Cataract, Carlisle, etc, which I think is about 1 7/8", and no letter is needed. The larger diameter oar is more like a wood oar in size, 2" or better, and designated by an L.

This sound right?
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJ View Post
Good questions and thanks Zach. Appreciate if you would confirm if I have this right:

MX is the oar. Under the old system, F was for fiberglass, and thus the MX-F. Now it's just MX, because they really don't need the F and never did. All the oars are fiberglass, it's just that some have a layer of graphite too. So, and MX is an MX, but could be more if you add some options.

Under the new system, if you add the optional graphite layer, it becomes an MXG.

The only thing left is shaft size. The standard is the same diameter as Cataract, Carlisle, etc, which I think is about 1 7/8", and no letter is needed. The larger diameter oar is more like a wood oar in size, 2" or better, and designated by an L.

This sound right?
You are pretty much spot on. You are correct on the construction as well as on the nomenclature of the MX oars.

As far as the size goes, the Standard diameter shafts have an ID of 1 5/8" and the Large diameter have an ID of 1 3/4."
Down River Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote