Saturn RD290 Raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-28-2019   #1

Saturn RD290 Raft

As a former raft guide, paddling whitewater gives me a joy that few other things do. Itís one of my favorite things. Since Iím not working for a company anymore, it is hard to access rafts in order to take friends and family and share my love for whitewater with them. Iíve been contemplating buying a raft for years now, and the Saturn RD290 from BoatsToGo made this possible.

I looked at several rafts in the ďsmall raftĒ category. The Saturn RD290 is a 9.6í two-thwart raft. They ranged in price from about $850 to $3500. Iíve been saving for years for this, so I had to go with a cheaper option. After looking at reviews, checking out pictures, and looking at specs I decided on going with the Saturn RD290 for the price and quality. It may not be like some of the rafts we used at NOC, but at a price I can afford it seems to be good quality. Also, I could buy 3 of these rafts for the price of one of the more expensive rafts, and I doubt that they are 3 times more durable.

The main competitor seemed to be the BRIS raft of a similar size. After looking at several reviews it seemed that the Saturn Raft seemed to be better reviewed, better specs, and from the pics seemed to have a more solid construction. Also this is probably a biased and unfair point, but the BRIS is sold at Walmart, and buying a raft from Walmart sketches me out a bit. Finaly, the BRIS seemed to have trouble with the self-bailing feature with the way the floor inflates.

So pumped to take this on some class III-IV whitewater. There are a couple videos out there with people running sections of the Gauley, so that was nice to see some confirmation it can perform well in big water. Living in the Southeast, there are many options of fun rivers. Thanks Saturn and BoatsToGo for making my dream of owning a raft a reality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RaftPic.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	34155  

zsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019   #2

Upstate, South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsnc View Post
As a former raft guide, paddling whitewater gives me a joy that few other things do. Itís one of my favorite things. Since Iím not working for a company anymore, it is hard to access rafts in order to take friends and family and share my love for whitewater with them. Iíve been contemplating buying a raft for years now, and the Saturn RD290 from BoatsToGo made this possible.

I looked at several rafts in the ďsmall raftĒ category. The Saturn RD290 is a 9.6í two-thwart raft. They ranged in price from about $850 to $3500. Iíve been saving for years for this, so I had to go with a cheaper option. After looking at reviews, checking out pictures, and looking at specs I decided on going with the Saturn RD290 for the price and quality. It may not be like some of the rafts we used at NOC, but at a price I can afford it seems to be good quality. Also, I could buy 3 of these rafts for the price of one of the more expensive rafts, and I doubt that they are 3 times more durable.

The main competitor seemed to be the BRIS raft of a similar size. After looking at several reviews it seemed that the Saturn Raft seemed to be better reviewed, better specs, and from the pics seemed to have a more solid construction. Also this is probably a biased and unfair point, but the BRIS is sold at Walmart, and buying a raft from Walmart sketches me out a bit. Finaly, the BRIS seemed to have trouble with the self-bailing feature with the way the floor inflates.

So pumped to take this on some class III-IV whitewater. There are a couple videos out there with people running sections of the Gauley, so that was nice to see some confirmation it can perform well in big water. Living in the Southeast, there are many options of fun rivers. Thanks Saturn and BoatsToGo for making my dream of owning a raft a reality.

What part of the south east are you in?
Anton8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019   #3

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Weird first post. Seems more like a plug.
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019   #4
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
wasn't the usual RMR plug, sounded like it though. and comparing it to Bris, wouldnt that be like being the tallest "migget" or the smartest person with brain damage. PS i edited myself, hopefully enough.
Old 04-29-2019   #5

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Sounds like a plug to me . Search for Saturn Rafts pos on this forum.
funrivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019   #6

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'll give an rmr plug... They're sweet.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019   #7
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Quote:
Originally Posted by chepora View Post
I'll give an rmr plug... They're sweet.
LMAO
Old 05-02-2019   #8

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2016
If you run class V rapids in that thing your gonna die. Trust me...it happened to me once. Big class 3 at 3400cfs in the Rio Grande Gorge. It's a nice boat but the tubes are tiny and a strong wind will put it in the air. NO CO yer pretty funny. Kinda like winning a gold medal in the special olympics.
outathaboatBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by outathaboatBruce View Post
If you run class V rapids in that thing your gonna die. Trust me...it happened to me once. Big class 3 at 3400cfs in the Rio Grande Gorge. It's a nice boat but the tubes are tiny and a strong wind will put it in the air. NO CO yer pretty funny. Kinda like winning a gold medal in the special olympics.
Sorry to hear about your untimely demise Bruce Congratulations on your
amazing recovery

Lets all give ZSNC a break it. He said it has taken him years to save for a $1000 boat. That kind of dedication and persistence should be admired.
Old 05-03-2019   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Lets all give ZSNC a break it. He said it has taken him years to save for a $1000 boat. That kind of dedication and persistence should be admired.
According to my math, if you give up 2 starbucks stops per week, and drink 2 less micro brews a week at the pub, you can save over $1000 a year. If you switch your expensive cell phone plan to a pay as you go plan, you can probably bank almost another $1000 in a year. If you get rid of cable and all your internet streaming service and get a free library card and do some reading for a year, you will be smarter, and probably bank well over another $1000 in a year.

Thats $3000 in 1 year, $6000 in 2 years and $9000 in 3 years.
$9000 = 1 saturn raft, a fairly good used car, with enough left over for a fairly entertaining night in vegas with some average price street walkers.
or
A sweet 14' american made full mulitday raft setup with a nice new trailer and all your camping and cooking gear.

BOOM!
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote