Saturn Rafts vs. other glued PVC boats - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-20-2009   #1

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Saturn Rafts vs. other glued PVC boats

Given all the Saturn bashing I see here, I'm curious whether there is a significant difference in construction between Saturns and the other glued PVC rafts like Star and Vanguard, which are far more expensive, but get less crap on the Buzz.

I know the guy in Idaho was caught spoofing, and thereby playing us all for idiots, but what about the boats? I've seen the stupid photoshopped pictures, but . ..

I understand that the glued-pvc manufacturers use a different glue than the old Maravias.

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I'll take a stab at this. But first let me clarify that I am NOT the Idaho spoofer! Don't know him. And I must let you know that I am a cheep dirtbag. Basicly most of these chinese made boats are done in a mass production plant. And the materials and glue used is dependant on the lastest best deal they got. So, the quallity of the boat is dependant on everything from the weather, shipping condition form china, the dirtbag who just got hired yesterday for $3 and hour. These are the same plants that make the NRS otter and the Aire Tributaries. I have seen good ones and bad ones. The bottem line for me is: If you take care of it and give it some ltc it should work out for ya. With all that said. I love my maravia and I would'nt have it any other way and I will spend extra $ for an american made product just because..
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I own a Aire, but I have taken a look in person at these boats.

The Star boats appear to be much nicer than a Saturn, but at that point you could spend a little more and get a Aire/NRS etc. Also the Star I saw had a very shallow floor. Plus even if it is 2-3 years old I would gladly pay the same money for a Aire vs a Star. I seem to see a used Super Puma or similiar on the classifieds almost each week for around $2500.

So on the cheap I would say go for a Saturn vs a Star. I don't know anything about Vanguard, maybe someone else has some input.

Maybe it comes down to this: Saturn vs Baltik?

If someone asks me what to buy I usually respond with: How much do you want to spend? And what do you plan on doing with it?
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009   #4

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I'll take a stab at this. But first let me clarify that I am NOT the Idaho spoofer! Don't know him. And I must let you know that I am a cheep dirtbag. Basicly most of these chinese made boats are done in a mass production plant. And the materials and glue used is dependant on the lastest best deal they got. So, the quallity of the boat is dependant on everything from the weather, shipping condition form china, the dirtbag who just got hired yesterday for $3 and hour. These are the same plants that make the NRS otter and the Aire Tributaries. I have seen good ones and bad ones. The bottem line for me is: If you take care of it and give it some ltc it should work out for ya. With all that said. I love my maravia and I would'nt have it any other way and I will spend extra $ for an american made product just because..
Maybe I misread your post, but no way a NRS Otter/Aire Tributary is in the same ballpark as a Saturn. I don't care what the weather was in China. Also NRS Otter/Aire Tributary Rafts are welded not glued.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #5

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaver View Post
Maybe I misread your post, but no way a NRS Otter/Aire Tributary is in the same ballpark as a Saturn. I don't care what the weather was in China. Also NRS Otter/Aire Tributary Rafts are welded not glued.
Sorry but the otters and tributaries are made in the same factories. There are two and both factories are managed by the same people. However, NRS and Aire sets different standards for patterns, material, and glue. The saturn, baltic, ect have thier standars as well. Each meeting a different price/market. Now the NRS expidition and Aire branded boats are a different story. And the humidity totally effects the bonding of glue. Ever been to China? No air conditioning.. The shipping effects qually as well, just expose your boat to a months worth of salt water air! Now some companies like NRS and Aire try thier best to offset these problems. But they are built in the same factories.
Old 07-20-2009   #6

Bazzaro, Free
PS: The only reason I bring NRS and Aire to the table is to express that the factories can and do build higher end boat as well as cheep boat too.
Old 07-20-2009   #7

leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I am not sure if this is true but I was told that last year saturn rafts started welding their boats. I for the price it seems like a decient boat and if you take care of it it should last.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

Crested Butte, Colorado
Saturn Boats are glued not welded

Just so there is no confusion, Saturn brand boats are glued and not welded. If you heard that rumor I can assure you it is not true.

RM Rafts is the Colorado Distributor of Saturns and you can feel free to contact us at anytime. Thanks.
RMrafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaver View Post
NRS otter's are not welded. Just emailed NRS and here is thier responce

"The seams on our Otter boats are all glued. Welding is not a process used on hypalon it is used on boats made from PVC or Urethane. If you have any futher questions please respond to this email or give us a call at 1-800-635-5202. Thanks!"

Copy and pasted from NRS reply..
Old 07-20-2009   #10

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMrafts View Post
Just so there is no confusion, Saturn brand boats are glued and not welded. If you heard that rumor I can assure you it is not true.

RM Rafts is the Colorado Distributor of Saturns and you can feel free to contact us at anytime. Thanks.
The problem, or the theory of the problem, as I've heard it, is that PVC outgasses, and the gas will eventually dissolve the glue. If that's still a problem, it would seem to apply to all glued-PVC boats.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote