Saturn Rafts???? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-10-2011   #1

Howell, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2010
Saturn Rafts????

I am a new river rider in the state of Michigan. Not many huge rides but I need to start somewhere. Class one and two so far this winter. I have been only in a Hyside, bucket bail, 13' or so. In the past week I have realized I wish to purchase a raft. Now seeing the costa and the actual amount of usage I am wondering if leasing will good enough. I do have a 13' Saturn that I have discussed in buying but found out PVC is not a long term lasting at Hypalon. I wish to use it in the winter and summer and do wish to roll it up once done to reduce trailers and keep it versatile. I also like to fish stealhead and in the pas week realized I can get a frame and make it a decent float boat. As you can tell I am lost and need some guidance. I appreciate any feedback...thanks

tobinreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
there are numerous threads on this topic--try doing a search under Saturn.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #3

Howell, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2010
just found it....jumping in...thanks
tobinreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011   #4

Denver, Colorado
Saturn Inflatable rafts

I bought my Saturn from RM Rafts in Colorado. The owner showed me pictures of an outfit that does 4-6 runs a day with a Saturn raft and has been doing so for years. He sold me on their durability.
DavyCrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The newer versions of the raft with the thicker floor and improved handles is awesome. I bought one from RM as well, and the process was really easy and they were good to work with. The boat has held air all winter in my garage. The base has no damage after a summer of use. For class I and II, this boat will be able to do everything you need and more. The only thing is that PVC is not as easy to roll as hypalon, but for the cost savings, personally I was able to get past it. There are lots of Saturn haters out there, but I have yet to find any who actually own a Saturn. Most of them are people that are upset they paid so much more for a raft that performs the same as a Saturn. Good luck in your decision.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #6

Oakland, California
Paddling Since: 1999
I bought my Saturn from Joe at RM last summer and so far so good. For my needs, class I-occasional IV it's perfect. He also set me up with a nice frame that's a combo between NRS and Down River Equipment and I have set it up to where I can remove leg locks for flyfishing in both bow and stern.
Hermonbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #7

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dear Lord,

I pray that you will smite this thread into the vast digital oblivion, since I'm sure you'll agree that the last thing we need is another "Saturn Rafts are great"/"Saturn Rafts are crap" thread. Even in the off-season.

Amen.

Your humble servant,

Riparian
Old 01-21-2011   #8

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riparian View Post
Dear Lord,

I pray that you will smite this thread into the vast digital oblivion, since I'm sure you'll agree that the last thing we need is another "Saturn Rafts are great"/"Saturn Rafts are crap" thread. Even in the off-season.

Amen.

Your humble servant,

Riparian
WTH El Duderino? The guys from Michigan! For love of Christ, leave the poor bastard alone. Not everyone knows that the Saturn Raft topic has been beat to a pulp. He probably doesn't spend every waking hour scouring the Buzz during the winter like some folks I know.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #9

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Saturn Rafts definitely are not as good as some other brands. You get what you pay for but a Saturn will serve most purposes perfectly fine. Don't let the gear snobs on here lead you astray specially the ones from Colorado. If your not aware of the "Rado" attitude, everyone in the "it's all about me state" thinks that the gear they own is the only gear anyone should own and if you don't own the gear they own you are a damn loser. Screw them, buy the best you can afford and go have a good time.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #10

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yarm - I can see that you're not into the whole brevity thing, man. Anyhow, my prayer is like, uh, this First Amendment religious freedom thing. Y'know? B'sides, Satan lives in those Saturn rafts. Swap the "ur" with an "a" and I think you'll see what I mean. Scary shit, man.

Tags
cost, pvc, saturn, warranty