Safety and Comfort of Pads vs Swivel Seats - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-28-2019   #1

Safety and Comfort of Pads vs Swivel Seats

I just purchased a 14' raft and have a problem with my frame idea. In order to make everything fit I am going to have a swivel seat for the oarsman and front passenger. However, I won't have room for a third swivel seat and a dry box, so I am thinking of just having a padded dry box in the back. Do you guys feel this would be comfortable and safe? I won't be hitting any big rapids to start, but my 10yr old is the likely passenger there on most trips.

Thanks for any advice on this!

wvtroutmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Why swivel seats? Please post a photo of seats your thinking about using. Make sure the 10 year old is in front where you can keep an eye on him or her at all times
Old 01-28-2019   #3

I guess the swivel seats are for fishing and back support. I've done some guided floats and the seats are kinda nice for fishing from side to side through the rapids.

I do notice that alot of the boats out west just have folks sitting on coolers, benches, and dry boxes. Seems like this would hurt your back over time and make it easier to slide off into the water.
wvtroutmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Look into a flip seat to row from if sitting on your drybox doesn't feel good for you.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I've sat on my cooler since the early 80's, and as the years rolled by, I took to using a crazy creek chair on top of a Maravia Silverback pad strapped over the cooler to shade the sun and provide some cushion for my aging buttcheeks.

The main reason for this, and not a chair is twofold. One it keeps me lower in the boat and less subject to being tossed around, and 2, I can move easily wherever I need to be, a fast hyside in Sock It to Me when my entrance isn't what it should have been for example. Also makes throwing a rope bag easier when I'm a solo oarsman and there is a swimmer in the river.

What I can't understand is why people use those huge bent aluminum seats that put them up a good foot from where they should be, complete with 2 foot long oarstands to allow them to get the oars out of the water. Is comical to see them launched out of the boat in a relatively mild rapid, sort of like an ejector seat from a James Bond movie. Why would you do that? If you ABSOLUTELY have to use a seat and restrict your movement, I would think a low back tractor seat would be the thing to use.

My 2, your mileage may vary
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #6

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
A swiveling seat for the oarsman??? Not a good idea IMHO. Your ass is going to be all over the place anytime you're putting power to the oars. If you could lock it into position for rowing and release it for fishing that would be pretty cool. As a rule the oarsman usually aint fishing.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Plus one for pad plus crazy creek chair
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
My favorite seat is a paco pad over my drybox on multidays. I usually have enough of a gear pile behind me that I have a backrest, and I'll put another rolled paco or a sleeping bag in a drybag behind my back for a nice backrest.

Haven't yet tried the Crazy Creek on top of it, but should.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
yeah, you don't want a swivel seat for the oarsman.... when you push with one oar it will spin you and the seat and you'll have no strength... just take the swivel off and mount the seat in a fixed position. I use Tempress Fish-on seats in all three positions (swiveling in front raised fishing seat and rear seat (on the rear E-piece and fixed position in the rowers seat)) and love all of them.

for Mnichols - I've never seen a rowers seat on a raised bar, nor 2' long oar towers (I call BS on that) but most boats in my area utilize a bent bar lifting the front seat up about 10" for fishing. It's a far superior way to fish from a raft vs standing... and way more stable in bigger water than standing. That said any real rapids I have people out of the fishing seat and sitting on the deck (either front or rear).

There are many opinions on all of this but it really depends on your use. There really aren't many fishing minded folks on this site and things typically revolve around long trips. That said, I hate sitting on a Paco, they are always wet (which great if it's hot out, but if it's cooler.... it sucks). I like sitting in a chair with a back rest, even when rowing; that way if I don't need to really be on the sticks I can lean back, sip a beer and enjoy the scenery. I've also drilled out the pivot pins on my tempress rowers seat and replaced with hitch pins so I can remove the back when I'm in bigger water - this allows a greater range of motion. I like being locked into my seat, especially in bigger water. My rowers seat adds about 2 inches to my seat height above sitting on my drybox (it's mounted to my drybox) - that can't be more than an inch higher than sitting on a pad... not enough to appreciably change the center of gravity.

As you get into bigger water you'll find what you like via experience.... in the meantime, be comfortable.
Old 01-29-2019   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
There are many opinions on all of this but it really depends on your use. There really aren't many fishing minded folks on this site and things typically revolve around long trips. That said, I hate sitting on a Paco, they are always wet (which great if it's hot out, but if it's cooler.... it sucks). I like sitting in a chair with a back rest, even when rowing; that way if I don't need to really be on the sticks I can lean back, sip a beer and enjoy the scenery. I've also drilled out the pivot pins on my tempress rowers seat and replaced with hitch pins so I can remove the back when I'm in bigger water - this allows a greater range of motion. I like being locked into my seat, especially in bigger water.
Those look like nice seats. A more sculpted/retentive version of the ubiquitous folding plastic NRS seat?

I like the idea of using hitch pins to make the seat back removeable. You could also cut a small slit in each side of the lower seat's back to put in a 1'-2' cam strap and give you just a bit of pelvis/lumbar support with the seat back off (if that makes sense?)
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote