russian firepan. - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-02-2018   #1

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
russian firepan.

while looking for something else i found this:

https://vk.com/market-25749355

scroll alllll the way down -- last item on the left at the bottom.

haven't seen an option quite like that before, and thought some here might be interested.

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Looks like a nice design, but I'll add that the slots in the bottom appear as if they'd let ash and embers fall through to the ground. Somehow I'd be surprised if the Leave no Trace principles are very well established in Russian camping circles...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Ash blanket - or even just tin foil - would solve the ash/embers falling through the slots problem.
Second the observation on Leave No Trace - took a couple of Russian paddlers down Cat back in the late '90's (they paddled a bakraft, first time I ever saw one). They were indestructible and great entertainment, minimal camping gear but enough vodka so that didn't matter. Had to literally follow them around in camps and pick up their trash (orange peels, cigarette butts, etc.) but by end of trip they (reluctantly) would put 90% of their "thrash" in gallon zip-locks I asked them to use. Never could convince 'em that thousands of folks use the same camps every year and that should inform their ethics; did finally obtain some cooperation after 3rd or 4th night when they learned I'd been running Cat since '76... They remain among the top ten paddlers I've ever run with, could put their POS bakraft (similar to JPW Cutthroat or other straddle/paddle cat boats with minimal frames) on an eddy line and perfectly control angle&orientation to make any move needed.
Reading water is a gift. Some receive it early, most have to work at it, and a few will always think muscles can take you wherever you need to go.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018   #4

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Great, now my MB add banner has a Russian singles dating website. Thanks Mike. Does look like a cool firepan tho...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018   #5

D-town, Colorado
https://www.hooliganoffroad.com/coll...fire-pit-grill

If you dont mind the Jeep theme! I think this is pretty BA! Made here in CO.
SigNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018   #6

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacn View Post
Great, now my MB add banner has a Russian singles dating website. Thanks Mike. Does look like a cool firepan tho...

AdBlock is your friend.

Quit killing time here and get back to work on dat van!
Old 01-03-2018   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm planning on building a new fire pan this winter and am interested in ideas but the link below is blocked by my firewall... can some one post a couple of actual pics? or pdf the pics and pm me or???

The jeep one is unique - I like the idea (minus the jeep part - I'm a FJ40 guy) but I see some issues too...
Old 01-03-2018   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Here ya go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RussianFirepan1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	24514   Click image for larger version

Name:	dIozF27aUew.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	24522  

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Thanks EM! I've seen some similar (can't recall where) but that also gives me some ideas...

What's the consensus on this thing (with correct dimensions) fitting GC requirements? I'm thinking of issues with the cutouts near the bottom.... my inclination would be to ditch those and change the dimensions to a larger foot print with shorter sides...but the jeep version with sliding grill has me thinking about taller options.
Old 01-03-2018   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The Russian is definitely too small to be legal in the Grand and due to the slots in the floor may not qualify for many other permitted runs. I think the idea is solid though and if it didn't have the slots would be a great piece. I'd make the handle fold in though. I don't think it has the required 4" ground clearance that is required in many places too.

Make one like this that fits the dimensions of the GC requirements and and I'd certainly consider it.

Just FYI...this is the Google Translate for the description...

Our brazier AIR is designed primarily for cycling and hiking!

* non-sparking 2.5mm steel
* weight only 3.5kg
* it is convenient to take a bike ride
* easily fits in a backpack - the dimensions are slightly larger than iPada
* perfectly folds and unfolds after numerous applications

Sounds like its pretty small i.e. Ipad size when its folded up. I think it would be great for self support kayak trips and similar but might not hold up to rafting abuse or trip sizes. I couldn't find actual dimensions but it seems the floor is basically the size of a legal notepad.

3.5kg is just under 8 pounds for those like me that don't have a gauge on what a kilogram feels like.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote