Running boards/ side boards building recomends - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-04-2013   #1

Brigham city, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
Running boards/ side boards building recomends

I have a 72 NRS frame that I want to add some running boards/ side boards whatever you call them. Any recommends for materials and building instructions for budget running boards. Pics would be nice too

KingElbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013   #2

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I just built a set from 3/4 cdx plywood and covered with Behr deck over. I beveled the edges on the table saw and drilled and cut the strap slots. If I have outwitted my iPad there should be a photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3640718005.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	471.5 KB
ID:	7415  
Guiltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I hope you get some responses here. This is an issue I have been working on for my rig. There are a few options out there but none of them are a great solutions. There are three basic material I have seen people use wood, plastic and metal. The metal decks are usually aluminum dimond plate, not sure if you can use them on NRS frames, I have only seen them welded on DRE and AAA frames and I would imagine it would get very hot in the sun.

Plastics is the next option, there are shops around that make them out of a HDPE type white plastic. I have a friend that has this style and the are hard to strap down flimsy when you stan on them, and im not a fan of plastic when there are better renewable options out there.

The last material and in my opinon the best option but has more mantinance, wood. The nice thing about wood is that it is relativly cheap and easy to work with. The main problem with wood at the moment is the finishes that are available. None of the are waterproof and the need yearly reaplication if you want them to last but if they dont then you toss it and build another. The other thing I like about wood is you can dial in your rig, every time I make new ones I add or chance something to make my boat more functional and or comfortable.

I am actuallh working on a busness idea for this specific issue. I am currently doing some R&D on a resin infusion system that should render the wood UV and mosture stable. I am also working with Bamboo playwood for the base material. With the combination of the two matrrial I can offer a sustainabl product that is funtional, visualy appealing, and bommer.

I am also working on a bamboo dry box, we'll see on that one.

Hope th Is helps, if you want to talk some more PM, I would love to get some more feed back on the idea and if you are close to Denver I would be willing to work with you to design something that fits your needs.

Josh
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Oh I forgot to add that I am also going to offer custom graphics/colors for the deck.
Old 12-04-2013   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltydog View Post
I just built a set from 3/4 cdx plywood and covered with Behr deck over. I beveled the edges on the table saw and drilled and cut the strap slots. If I have outwitted my iPad there should be a photo attached.
Nice work! How do you attach them to the frame?

I have the NRS side rail racks. I like them because I can move them around and remove them if I don't need them. I had one (3 footer) that I sacrificed and cut in half to make an even smaller mini rack. I don't use them to walk on much, mostly to strap things to. The one down side to the NRS is the weight of the Lopro and pipe. I've experimented with wood, but attachment has always been a question. For small side racks I use heavy duty zip ties to attach to the frame. Sturdy & cheap.

I look forward to seeing more pics of what folks have done. I know that some buzzards like the polymax stuff.
PolyMax Poultry/Kennel Flooring - FarmTek

Here's a pic of some in use on a fellow buzzards raft.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #6

West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
After years of over thinking possible side rails, I finally just settled on these:

NRS Side Rail Racks at nrs.com

Glad I did. Light, clean, and bomber.
Old 12-04-2013   #7

Brigham city, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
can PolyMax Poultry/Kennel Flooring - FarmTek hold weight like someone walking across it it
KingElbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #8

Helena, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Nice work! How do you attach them to the frame? I have the NRS side rail racks. I like them because I can move them around and remove them if I don't need them. I had one (3 footer) that I sacrificed and cut in half to make an even smaller mini rack. I don't use them to walk on much, mostly to strap things to. The one down side to the NRS is the weight of the Lopro and pipe. I've experimented with wood, but attachment has always been a question. For small side racks I use heavy duty zip ties to attach to the frame. Sturdy & cheap. I look forward to seeing more pics of what folks have done. I know that some buzzards like the polymax stuff. PolyMax Poultry/Kennel Flooring - FarmTek Here's a pic of some in use on a fellow buzzards raft.
Thanks. My plan is to use 1 foot long cam straps to attach the boards to the frame. I lined up the slots on the long side so that the edge of the board does not overhang the rail. Years ago I bought several 1 foot straps, thinking they would be handy. They are not. They have been unemployed since then, so now I can put them to use. I briefly considered using zip ties, but my experience with putting any type of expectation on a zip tie is like drinking an entire bottle of tequila; temporary contentment followed by disappointment and regret. I did see on this forum where someone used hose clamps encased in clear vinyl tubing. I may still consider that.
Guiltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #9
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingElbear View Post
can PolyMax Poultry/Kennel Flooring - FarmTek hold weight like someone walking across it it
The floor of my cat is Polymax. I run staps from the crossbars downs and lace it through. I figure if a slackline can support my weight I can use them as "floor joists". Five years and it has worked great. The straps probably need to be replaced but haven't broke yet despite significant UV.

My friend uses Polymax on his top decks for spans 12 inches and under. I think you could do much more by wrapping your frame with webbing (wetted) and pulling it tight through the Polymax grid.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogalot View Post
After years of over thinking possible side rails, I finally just settled on these:

NRS Side Rail Racks at nrs.com

Glad I did. Light, clean, and bomber.
That's the ones I use. I have 4 of the 3 footers....except one has been cut into two 1.5 footers. They are easy to move around to different positions, and if they span two cross bars you can walk on them. I even clamped one to my NRS cataraft yoke once, across the back of my frame to add some flat surface area for strapping something down. It worked great and didn't move at all with light to medium gear on it. You do have the added weight of the Lopros and pipe, but they are nice side rails.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote