Running Boards - ACX vs MDO? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-06-2017   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Running Boards - ACX vs MDO?

A few years back I made some running boards out of 3/4" ACX. Fast forward 3-4 seasons and one of them is doing great-it's in perfect shape. However, the other running board has some problems with a layer delaminating as well as some minor checking.

They've been painted from day one with several coats of Behr Deckover which has held up pretty well. I clean the boards and apply touch-ups wherever needed at the beginning of each season.

My best guess is that the ACX I bought at the local ACE Hardware is simply not great quality and the sections with delamination were just not properly glued when manufactured.

I've noticed that some boaters here like MDO. For those who have experience with it, how is it holding up/how long have you had it on your boat? Have you tried ACX and do you know how the two materials compare in terms of durability/longevity?

All input is appreciated.

Thanks!

gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Polymax! Light, tough, no maintenance.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017   #3

NE, Oregon
I ran a triple spar urethane coated ACX Beaver tail for about 1500 miles before it gave out. The rails I built and treated at the same time are still in service, though they're showing the first signs of delamination. I switched to an untreated MDO tail and it looks like new with about 3k miles on it.
I personally won't go back to normal plywood.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
I used spar urethaned baltic birch ply, because it has uniform well bonded plys. I guess I'll let you know in 1500-3000 miles how it lasts. Looks nice for now.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017   #5

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
Polymax! Light, tough, no maintenance.
Can you stand on that stuff?

How's traction?

Thanks
gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017   #6

Evergreen, Colorado
I used acx and first treated it with this stuff, followed by spar urethane. Only one season, but so far so good.

Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer

The woodworking shop in fort Collins has it.
gwheyduke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I absolutely recommend MDO. It is sorta expensive, but holds up great. I have a piece of it for my floor in my 13' raft and haven't done any kind of finish on it and its holding up great. I wish I had bought it for my 16' boat instead of Marine Plywood. I had to spend two days varnishing many coats on it to get that one right and it has already started checking and peeling. For the same price I coulda got MDO and it would be holding up way better. I've talked to guys who made their boat decks with it and its still holding up a decade later. No treatment necessary...just round the edges and drill holes to mount with and you are done.

I recommend calling a place that does outdoor signs and ask if they have any scrap. I have a friend of a friend that works at one and he donated the piece I used and said to call him if I need more. Not gonna share my source, but just about any place that makes outdoor signs will have it.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017   #8

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoanthony View Post
Can you stand on that stuff?

How's traction?

Thanks
Traction is great, it's a mesh so water and mud just go through. You want to support it on all 4 sides, so a dual rail or some kind of support is pretty critical, but i'm 200lbs and can stand on it with a loaded cooler with just a little flex. Plus it's super easy to work with, cuts like butter on a saw, and you can run straps through the holes - hundreds of spots to tie down to.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/a...6&d=1464735803
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Side Boards

I am getting ready to make my sideboards on my new frame and was thinking about going with something like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-1-in...ard/1000007674

I like the idea of it being a solid piece of wood with no glue. I was going to cut it, route it, seal it, and UV varnish it. Has anyone used this before?
GnarCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017   #10

Denver, Colorado
In my opinion a solid board would be more prone to warping and splitting.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote