RTIC Issues - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-30-2018   #1

little rock, Arkansas
RTIC Issues

Buzzards, I just thought I'd let you know RTIC appears to be having some serious QC issues and serious customer service issues to boot. I've had my Softpak 40 since February 2017. The adhesive is in a state of catastrophic failure. The cooler is severely delaminated and well on its way to coming apart. According to RTIC this is the result of "excessive wear and tear". The cooler is spotless with no scratches, tears, scrapes or gouges; not even a stain. I have pics to prove this and have shared them with the folks at RTIC. It also sweats and leaks. I store it indoors and use it rarely, but yeah, excessive wear and tear.

A 1.5 year old cooler that according to RTIC is "tough as nails" and guaranteed not to leak or sweat is in shambles after a year and a half of being babied and sweats and leaks severely.

RTIC refuses to stand behind their product. That's their prerogative. The one year warranty has expired. Yep. This "tough as nails" cooler is only warranted for one year against manufacturer defect. I could've lived with that technically correct but very lame response, but when they chose to falsely accuse me of abusing a product that's supposedly designed and built for rough treatment they hurt my feelings.

What do I expect at this point? Nothing, but I told them I'd post a review of their product and subsequent service and how it would read was up to them. I also posted this on the Facebooks and have since heard from others with defects RTIC blames on the customer and refuses to address. Not a good way to win friends and influence people in the outdoor community. So, if you decide to purchase an RTIC product I hope for your sake it doesn't turn out to be defective, because RTIC will find a way to make it your fault.

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2018   #2

That's frustrating. I once had some skis de-laminate...no question it was a manufacturers defect. It was out of warranty so I didn't expect anything. I was mostly letting them know because I'd want to know if I was them. Instead they blamed unrelated base scratches (typical ptex repairs, not core shots).

RTIC is certainly technically correct that it is out of warranty, but they should honor it. I have a RTIC rotomold that is good, but will avoid them. Next year I want to get a soft sided.

When I find a company that stands by their gear I buy the shit out of. Zeal Optics is one of those. They've made things right when their product fails even outside of the warranty period. Brought it in to show them but wasn't expecting anything...left with new glasses.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Wait, you're saying that a company that originally entered the market to be a knockoff of a premium brand, and then got sued because of the overt messaging on their products is maybe not super concerned with customer satisfaction? Say it ain't so.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2018   #4

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
Wait, you're saying that a company that originally entered the market to be a knockoff of a premium brand, and then got sued because of the overt messaging on their products is maybe not super concerned with customer satisfaction? Say it ain't so.
LOL touche`.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018   #5

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Yeah, but yeti totally had it comin. Their 65, 45 or whatever does not hold 65, 45 or whatever quarts. Not even close. Do the math. Too bad RTIC doesn't seem to get the customer service thing. After reading this I wouldn't buy one.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018   #6

vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a RTIC softpak and the adhesive is also failing. Another friend is having the same problem and problems with the zippers. I have limited use also, maybe 4 Ruby Horsethiefs max. I wouldn't buy another RTIC.
leesonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018   #7

Golden, Colorado
Soft coolers are stupid anyway. Huck it in the trash where they belong.

I have a RTIC 65 or whatever. The cheapo foamy plastic handle broke the 2nd day of use. Beyond that,seems like it should last awhile. If not, I'll huck it in the trash and find something better that doesn't say Yeti on it.

Fuck Yeti.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
I had an RTIC soft-sided 40 that the zipper crapped out on. I was about a year and a half in, maybe more, so outside the warranty. I called them, sent in some pictures, and they agreed to replace it even though it was out of warranty because they said it was a known and common issue. Never experienced the delamination problem. Mine saw a decent amount of use, several overnights and lots of day use on and off the raft.

I got the new one towards the end of this season, just paid for shipping to send the broken one back. So customer service-wise, I was satisfied with the experience. As far as the product itself, I was definitely not pleased with the defect and I'm not putting much faith in the replacement. If it lasts then I absolutely love it because it holds ice well and is perfect for my needs. If it breaks again I'll be pretty disappointed with the cost to benefit ratio.

Lesson to myself here is to make sure I'm comfortable with the warranty period on an expensive product, because I would have been very upset both with RTIC and myself if they hadn't replaced it. I also have a hard RTIC 45 that I like quite a bit. That product seems likely to have more longevity just from having less moving parts and stuff that would have the potential to deteriorate/break. It's much better than the Mammoth roto-molded cooler I have.
protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018   #9

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthomas View Post
Yeah, but yeti totally had it comin. Their 65, 45 or whatever does not hold 65, 45 or whatever quarts. Not even close. Do the math. Too bad RTIC doesn't seem to get the customer service thing. After reading this I wouldn't buy one.
Some interesting reading for those unfamiliar with this particular rant. Depending on the size, your yeti will be slightly over, or slightly to significantly under, the model size. My 75 holds 74.8 quarts - good enough for me for the price I paid. A roadie 20 holds 20.8 quarts - bonus nachos! But a 105 only holds 87.2, a 420 holds 402.4, etc - no bueno.

Yeti Coolers Actual Capacities - Real Volumes and Sizes Revealed
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018   #10

C. Springs, Colorado
I look at these knock off companies the same as I look at the Chinese junk that Wally World sells........"you get what you pay for"
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote