rowing machines? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-21-2014   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
rowing machines?

when I hit the lochsaw last year, I was surprised at how unconditioned I was for the trip. I've been considering a home rowing machine for the winter. Does anyone do this? Any recommendations for models?

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014   #2

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Yep, I do that. I bought a cheap one that uses shock absorber things for resistance off CL many years ago and will spend some time on it over the winter. It's pretty small and keeps me from getting completely atrophied over the long winter. Sometimes I'll even row along to my Middle Fork DVD to keep from getting too bored and depressed until the runoff.
Old 11-22-2014   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
How about some xc skiing. My friends and I tend to go at night because we work and its dark at 5. It's a blast with headlamps and the dogs...not to mention a great workout.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Concept II ergs are what crews use to train through the winter. Second the thought of general conditioning though

Sent from my magical wireless thingy via mountainbuzz
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I bought a Concept 2 just over a year ago. I LOVE it. It was not cheap ($900) but I have not found anything else that properly prepares me for boating season. When I first got it I used it a LOT. Now I use it once a week and use P90 as my daily workout program. We live quite a ways out of town so a home gym is a priority for us.
Old 11-22-2014   #6

boulder, Colorado
I tend to do dumb bell rows before the season to get in shape. Both low weight/high reps and high weight/low reps. I just can't stay motivated to work the rowing machine for more than 3 minutes at a time. I think a combination of the 2 would be ideal.
Old 11-22-2014   #7

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I don't know why anyone would want to listen to the noise of a Concept 2 when there is this alternative:

http://www.waterrower.com

I've had one about 5 years and I love it. Very natural stroke and extremely well made.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to listen to the noise of a Concept 2 when there is this alternative:

http://www.waterrower.com

I've had one about 5 years and I love it. Very natural stroke and extremely well made.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I have never heard of those. They look interesting. It doesn't look like they split in half for daily storage, which is nice with my CII. Crew rowers I know say that the CII is the standard for competitive training, fwiw. Loud? What? Haha, I wear headphones.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 11-22-2014   #9

cedar city, Utah
Never heard of the WaterRower so I had to research some online reviews. My friend has the Concept II and loves it. That is what I used when I had a gym membership.

It looks like the WaterRower s designed to store vertically and fits within a standard 8 foot ceiling. The water-based mechanism sounds interesting. How does the stroke compare on it, Osseous? Sounds like it mimics the initial part of a true rowing stroke better but reviews mention the mechanism naturally reduces resistance after momentum is built up? True? Does that seem to better mimic how rowing speed affects the experience on the water as well?

My needs list from my winter paycheck may be growing now.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014   #10

Westminster, Colorado
4 years on a Concept II in college and still use one, although not as quickly anymore... The water rower is a little sluggish compared to a skull, but that wouldn't make a difference moving to a gear boat. On any of them be careful with technique or you can blow out your back

Sent from my magical wireless thingy via mountainbuzz
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote