rowing gloves for rafting - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-10-2009   #1

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
rowing gloves for rafting

After 17 years of waiting, I got a Grand Canyon permit!! I have never used rowing gloves and was hoping to get some opinions. I have been looking at the NRS women's fingerless rowing gloves, and am wondering if anyone has used them. Any other suggestions that can help this be the perfect trip would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Link to NRS rowing gloves
NRS Women's Boaters Gloves

airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009   #2

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I don't use gloves either,but went with the fingerless ones(mens) for our Grand trip. I really liked em,could hardly tell they were on. But i still ended up having the insides of my thumbs(uncovered part) split open from the blisters. But your hands will kind've numb to the blisters around week two. Bring lotion and ointment.
Gotta love Grand. Can't wait to go back next year

Also,a guy in our group really turned me on to this lotion/ointment called Gly-Miracle. Order that stuff! Not oily and smells nice...
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I just use fingerless biking gloves... essentially the same thing as the NRS ones you're looking at. Haven't done the Grand, but I'm sure some major skin cracking will occur. Don't know the Gly-Miracle, but I do swear by O'Keefe's Working Hands. It too is non-greasy, and was a big hit on my recent San Juan trip. My compadres damned near killed my supply, slathering all over their hands, elbows and knees. Good for Chaco heel too...
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009   #4

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Good for Chaco heel too...
Pearl Izumi Bike Gloves are the best, by far and away. I use them in Canada and Minnesota for canoeing and here in the mountains for rafting. As far as "Chaco heel", which I've always had a really bad case of. I use Calendula and Flexitol Heel Balm and I never leave for an extended trip without a PED-EGG, my heels have returned from looking like Frankensteins teeth to almost human after this discovery.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #5

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have quite wearing gloves unless I need them for warmth. On our Grand trip last Sept., I never wore gloves and do not get any blisters. I found that sometimes the seams in the gloves were giving me blisters, so that is why I quite wearing them with no regrets. On the Grand, I used a lot lotion on my hands and heels. Cetaphil for my hands and Super Salve for my heels. I have also heard good things about Mom's Stuff from Joe the Potter.
Old 05-10-2009   #6

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I just use some fingerless fishing gloves, they give that extra bit of support from blisters, although i got a pretty bad blister on the inside of my thumb yesterday
AJ_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009   #7
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Good for Chaco heel too...
Old 05-10-2009   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
TMTTR - were you able to get out on the Animas this weekend? Looks like it's running nicely at 4500. I'm stuck doing yardwork...
Old 05-11-2009   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ran the Grand last October/November and only used gloves on 2 or 3 cold days. No blisters.

I brought a lot of lotion and used a lot. One guy had Am-Lactin and it worked pretty well, but after reading the drug facts online not sure I would reccommend it - but it worked just fine for our group. Another had something for swimmers that also worked well, although it was greasy - so better for overnight use - unless you enjoy your oars slipping out of your hands. Remember that the clorine in your wash water will also dry out your skin, probably one of the reasons that swimmers stuff worked so well - swimmers swin in chlorine all the time. Plain chapstick works well for cracks. Wearing cotton gloves/socks over the lotion works well at night. Becasue it was cool to cold at night we wore shoes at camp most nights - becasue of this no one had issues with dry/cracked feet.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009   #10
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
TMTTR - were you able to get out on the Animas this weekend? Looks like it's running nicely at 4500. I'm stuck doing yardwork...
I did 4 trips- looks like it peaked at about 5080 on Saturday and is slowly coming down now. This morning on my way to work it was looking decidely more green than brown. Even with ALP pumping water, Santa Rita and Sawmill rapids are rowdy- for anyone who was wondering.

So as not to hi-jack this thread completely- the gloves I use for cold water are these. They are a little stiffer and seem to crease less, protecting the hands more.

NRS Reactor Gloves
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lyons creek clinic, rafting