Rowframe - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-05-2017   #1

North Hudson, United States
Paddling Since: 2000
Rowframe

Just curious what everyones experience with Rowframe.com is. Is it pretty typical for Gary to peace out for a bit.

While I'm not in a rush, I'm not sure how long the process typically takes. If it's normal, I'll wait around a bit.

Also, I've mostly seen good reviews (actually only good reviews). Anyone have any niggles about the frames produced by him? Anything you wished you asked for in a design, or were expecting?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

MountainVisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Can't beat the frame for the money....what are ya in a hurry for some winter rafting
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017   #3

Denver, Colorado
I bought a footbar, oar towers, and fittings from Gary and added my own 1.5" pipe. Buying my pipe locally saved me a small bit of money, but not much; mostly depends on shipping. It was a little difficult getting in touch with him at first, because he was in the middle of some travel, but once we connected on the order he took care of it pretty quickly. About what one would expect from a mostly one man operation. I've been totally satisfied with the frame. Straightforward rectangle with adjustable/replaceable parts. I spent barely more than half of what I'd have spent on a big name frame. I'm thinking about getting parts for a day frame from him this winter.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017   #4

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Communication can be a bit spotty with him, but once I stated the measurements I wanted and we agreed on dimensions he delivered it in a surprisingly short period of time. The quality and price cannot be beat. I found very short direct emails to be the ticket, had a buddy get one this summer exact same process, be decisive. Literally less then half the price of the big store names in Colorado.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017   #5

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Yes, it can take a bit for that first communication response. I found once established he was responsive. You have to remember he is a one man show, has a regular day job and he is doing this in his so called down time. Be concise and specific with what you want. I found him to be a great guy and very easy to work with. I've had a row frame for 3 seasons and highly recommend them.
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
Can't beat the frame for the money....what are ya in a hurry for some winter rafting
I'm in the Northeast so depending on your tolerance for cold, bearing in mind rain, rather than snow creates our flows for all but 2 months a year, the next 6 weeks are actually prime season with the trees going dormant and tropical storms bringing large amounts of rain. Plus, October and November are traditionally drawdown season where impounded lakes and reservoirs are drained to winter levels. Summer unfortunately requires a lot of rain to bring the larger rivers up, so unless we get hit with a few inches in a short span (not uncommon) it's mostly a handful of dam controlled rivers mid summer or smaller, low volume creeks if the rain is coming regularly.

Old 10-07-2017   #7

I guess I'll wait a bit longer. I just learned how to row and I'm trying to get my wife on the oars so we can be ready for a Hells Canyon /Lower Salmon trip next September. We're in our second year whitewater canoeing and paddle rafting, but I wanted to learn to row for the option of longer self supported river trips. And hopefully the Grand Canyon in a few years.

Old 10-08-2017   #8

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Gary is amazing. He was relatively quick to respond, but there would be lapses here and there. However, he made my frame in about a week and then offered to drive halfway to meet me. I had to talk him out of it because I was heading to Fort Collins anyways. He then put up with a bunch of n00b questions I had after the fact. Frame is great, price most certainly can't be beat and Gary was helpful.

P.S I also bought right at the end of his welding season so I think things were slowing down. He told me he usually stops working around Sept./Oct. so you might need to wait until spring.
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
O yeah i know about that great winter boating back east...im from western Maryland where the January warm up means top yock dawn patrol before work at the ski resort
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017   #10
willpaddle4food

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Rowframe has good stuff and I've been very satisfied with the price and quality. Ordering for Gary, for me, has been a little bit like fishing for an elusive trout. Start early, very early, and don't be afraid to send another email every two weeks if no response. I would start right now, for something you want to use next boating season. And, yeah, be decisive: it will speed up the process.
willpaddle4food is offline   Reply With Quote