Rower's seat vs sitting on padded dry box - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #51

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I won't go as far as saying they cause people to flip, but especially in a less than ideal rowing compartment setup I believe they can contribute, unnecessarily, to the problems a rower already has by limiting their movement to one spot, and could contribute to a flip.

At the end of the day, many flips happen as the boat is in the wrong place on the river, if the high back seat is hindering the oarsman, then.....
Rowing a boat is an inherently athletic activity in most cases, limiting one's movement while engaging in said athletic activity seems contraindicated.

My 2, your mileage may vary

MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #52

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Based on my 13 Grand, 19 Middle Fork, 5 Illinois, 30-40 Dinosaur, etc, etc trips and several years as a professional boat fitter/frame designer; I'm going to stick to my conclusion that a properly set up cockpit with high back seat and kick bar offers superior control and stability to sitting on a cooler.

The statement concerning athleticism verges on double talk. It sounds good but if you can't stay situated properly to perform your athleticism then you are likely to fail at that athletic task. Kayakers for example don't sit on coolers inside of their kayak. Likewise C-boaters. They probably would if it made sense(cold beer!), it doesn't. They are situated such that the last thing they want to worry about is whether their butt stays put. They are padded in place as tight as practical.

So again, it is time to agree to disagree and accept the fact that to each their own.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #53

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
I won't go as far as saying they cause people to flip, but especially in a less than ideal rowing compartment setup I believe they can contribute, unnecessarily, to the problems a rower already has by limiting their movement to one spot, and could contribute to a flip.

At the end of the day, many flips happen as the boat is in the wrong place on the river, if the high back seat is hindering the oarsman, then.....
Rowing a boat is an inherently athletic activity in most cases, limiting one's movement while engaging in said athletic activity seems contraindicated.

My 2, your mileage may vary
Yep...this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
My apologies EM.

However, it still sounds like you are saying high back seats cause people to flip and should not be used. That is not acceptable to me.

I am surprised that it took hours for you to figure out that the cockpit was not setup right "for you". To me it just sounds like the towers were too close "for you" but maybe not for the newbe if he or others did not recognize it as a problem.

But I was not there so who am I to say. Again, my humbled apology.

Ron
For the record, I never said high back seats cause flips and also never said that it doesn't work for some people. MNichols said it well so I'll leave it at that. For me...I'll stick to low back seats and sitting on coolers so I can lean back if I need to. Different strokes for different folks.

It didn't take me hours to realize it was bad...it was obvious immediately. Perhaps the towers were in the wrong spot...but he certainly had issues so something was up.

Stick to whatever conclusions you want but you are the only one here who is insisting that your way is the only way. I've said a bunch that I acknowledge that others seem to really like a high back chair and I'm happy its working for them... it just doesn't work for me and how I do things.

How is saying that someone is young, strong and athletic "double talk"? I've met a ton of strong young guys who, rather then finesse their way down the river with good technique, just power through everything. Its an absolute fact that they can make up for a bad setup with strength and exertion. That doesn't mean that they can't benefit from experimenting...it just means that its not always apparent that there is a problem until you reach the limits of their ability to power through something.

Evidently "agree to disagree" means you are just gonna keep bringing it up?
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #54

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Evidently "agree to disagree" means you are just gonna keep bringing it up?
Haha... Exactly!

"Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, BUT..."
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #55

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I row from a low backed flip seat.. We fabbed up a flip seat like the Clavey flip seat for about $16. that seat with a kick bar really helps me lock in. I think go with what really works for you. I tried rowing from just a cooler and it didnt really work for me. I am 5'7" and about 140 lbs and I got bounced all over the place without the seat. I think bigger people would not have that problem.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #56

Golden, Colorado
Electric-Mayhem (and others),

I concede. I misinterpreted your words. I commingled too freely what you said with what other people have claimed; which is that seats were inferior to sans-seats. Lastly, I was overly zealot in my defense of seats, be they high or low back.

Ron
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #57

On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
There is a reason that no professional outfitters run seats. They aren't necessary and constantly are in the way. I especially look at those DRE seats and wonder WTF are they thinking, that has to be the worst design ever.
DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #58

page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
seats suck, cooler pads rock!!!
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #59

Golden, Colorado
Can't you guys put better bait on the hook than that

I'll nibble on that bait a little though. I actually spend a considerable amount of time at DRE and at other times when not at DRE contemplating that seat. While I did many things at DRE like improve quality control, enhance several products and create several new products; the only I could do for that seat was put white Phifetex Plus on it. Considering how many they sell, likewise AAA,
and other fabricators, I doubt it will be discontinued based on your opinion. But, if you got some ideas on how to redesign it for the better, I'm all ears and Jason would love to hear your suggestions I'm sure.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #60

page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Can't you guys put better bait on the hook than that

I'll nibble on that bait a little though. I actually spend a considerable amount of time at DRE and at other times when not at DRE contemplating that seat. While I did many things at DRE like improve quality control, enhance several products and create several new products; the only I could do for that seat was put white Phifetex Plus on it. Considering how many they sell, likewise AAA,
and other fabricators, I doubt it will be discontinued base on your opinion. But, if you got some ideas on how to redesign it for the better, I'm all ears and Jason would love to hear your suggestions I'm sure.
yeah dude first thing you do is throw it in the trash, then you put a pad on your cooler/drybox then you sit on it...

saying they sell a bunch really doesn't say much, i'm sure they sale a bunch of those dre captains bags and they are junk...

on a side note how do they fair upside down while bouncing down the river? i imagine if your geometry is 100%dependent on a mesh seat that sticks up off the frame almost 2 feet... eh nevermind i'm sure ill witness it someday
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote