Rower's seat vs sitting on padded dry box - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #21

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Tractor seat

Another vote for the low-back tractor seat...much more stability in rough water, better for your back (especially for us aging boaters), and when I really need to torque on the oars I find it gives me valuable leverage. I've been rowing for nearly 40 years and can't imagine rowing anything beyond a day trip without a rowing seat. It's just too squirrelly sitting on a box.

raftman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1995
I also vote for a low back. I don't like the idea of that high back while getting tossed around but then again there's that comfort factor.
agarcia65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Very old and often repeated subject, same answers.

Here is my same answer about "getting tossed around". Have you ever thought that you might not be tossed around(as much) if you had a high back seat and properly placed kick bar?

A high back seat and kick bar defines very precisely where your ass should stay and where it should return to if momentarily dislodged.

Many times (I'm sure we've all seen) that "extra" hard-pull-possible-without-a- high-back result in the oars person ending up in the back seat, or even out the back into the river. Extra, extra hard pulls without the constraint of a high back can also result in unseating the oars off their pins, oar locks, etc which is bad news most of the time.

To each their own based on their own experience I guess. Perhaps I'm just to spastic to do it without a high back seat, never trained my ass cheeks to pinch the top of a cooler properly to hold me in place.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #24
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Seats aren't an option for me as my wife and I are a full 12" different in height so I am on the "tush cush program" now.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #25

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
Seats aren't an option for me as my wife and I are a full 12" different in height so I am on the "tush cush program" now.
Sounds like you need another boat for the wife.

I'm in the highback crowd, I've got back issues and not having something firm to lean back on kills me after a bit. My rower's bay is fairly short since I sit high on a drybox and seat, but I can lock my feet into my footbar a couple different ways and I've never felt like I can't get leverage on pulls, and having a firm back to wedge my ass against during hard pushes into the wind is really nice. Plus I can kick back with my feet on the cooler and not tip over backwards.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #26

, Idaho
Thanks, great suggestions!
alisonmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #27
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
Sounds like you need another boat for the wife.
Doesn't everyone always need another boat.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #28

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Can I interest you in a few extra boats I've got a boatyard full of them.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #29

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I use a seat for my Mini-Max when day tripping but for most boating trips I just sit on my cooler with a Tuff River Stuff cooler pad on top.

I've tried the DRE/AAA style high back tubing seat and found it to restrict my movement in a way that was detrimental to being able to properly row. Maybe the tractor seats are better, but I'll stick to the low back.

I'm pretty sure a large reason this video turned out the way it did was because of the high back seat and not being able to make full strokes. The guy was set up well at the top but couldn't get full strokes in like the boat he followed...

I traded out with the guy rowing the boat that hit Bedrock later in the trip, and its was VERY frustrating getting it to move. I hear guys say they can get more leverage with the seat when rowing forward, but it doesn't allow you to use your body core (where most of the power is) to get real power when pulling. If you really need back support, like Trevko an MNichols, I've done the crazy creek thing in the past with great success. I've certainly had my fair share of back problems, but I've been very comfortable just sitting on the cooler with lots of freedom to move around rather then being trapped in a chair all day.

I've actually been thinking about making a cooler pad that has higher sides then the center so that it holds you in side to side. I find myself sliding sideways MUCH more often then I've ever slid forward or back.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #30

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
Only 12, heck, Ive got 16 total, 4 more than you!

Why does this sound so inappropriate?
jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote