Rope wrap VS sleeves - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-16-2015   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Rope wrap VS sleeves

I'm getting some better oars. I've use oars with rope wrap and sleeves, but it doesn't seem like a huge difference. Whats the big deal with rope? Thanks

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
I'm getting some better oars. I've use oars with rope wrap and sleeves, but it doesn't seem like a huge difference. Whats the big deal with rope? Thanks

IMO it is just quieter. I have run both and functionally that is the only real difference I noticed.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
They are quieter, have better feel, grip or "bite" the oarlocks better once you load them up and they look cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
I found that adjusting the position of the stop is less dangerous (or at least easier) with the rope wrap and rubber doughnut stop -- with the sleeve, I stabbed my thumb trying to use a flathead screwdriver to keep the nut from spinning while turning the bolt with another screwdriver! YMMV! I should not be allowed near sharp objects.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #5

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
They are quieter, have better feel, grip or "bite" the oarlocks better once you load them up and they look cool.
good point, after reading your post I remember that they do seem to "lock in" to the oarlock better under pressure. and don't tend to slide in/out as easily....and they definitely look cooler.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #6

GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
As zbaird said rope, if done right, has a stickier feel in the locks. Sleeves tend to spin in the lock easier. My preference is rope and cobra locks FWIW. Rope tends to grip the lock and not let the blade cant during the power portion of the stroke. Now the rest of the buzz will probably have a tech hissy fit but I use 10' cataract shafts and (OMG) Carlisle 8" outfitter blades. This is for pushing an AIRE Jag. This boat has taken me down the Grand, Main, Gates, and many others. Now I also have other boats. One with pins and clips and one with locks and sleeves. I really like the rope, stoppers, and brass locks. It just feels good and lets you feather as you want and wont spin during the needed power stroke. But this is just my opinion.
Mark
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirEms View Post
As zbaird said rope, if done right, has a stickier feel in the locks. Sleeves tend to spin in the lock easier. My preference is rope and cobra locks FWIW. Rope tends to grip the lock and not let the blade cant during the power portion of the stroke. Now the rest of the buzz will probably have a tech hissy fit but I use 10' cataract shafts and (OMG) Carlisle 8" outfitter blades. This is for pushing an AIRE Jag. This boat has taken me down the Grand, Main, Gates, and many others. Now I also have other boats. One with pins and clips and one with locks and sleeves. I really like the rope, stoppers, and brass locks. It just feels good and lets you feather as you want and wont spin during the needed power stroke. But this is just my opinion.
Mark
Interesting, I have run NRS brass locks and rope wrap for most of my time boating, but a lot of my fishing buddies have sleeves and I really have never noticed an issue with ease of spin.... until last year, I added cobra's and brand new rope wrap to my rig last year and it's a whole different ball game. They don't spin well enough for my tastes, I've tried waxing the wrap, opening the locs a bit more and they're still too stiff (rotationally) for me. love every thing else about the setup, but I'm actually considering ditching the cobra's...

I typically don't row against the stop on any of my oars. I like the stop way inside so I can adjust how much oar I have in or out of the lock... that came from my old drift boat where I'd have to slide sideways on the seat to balance the boat due to the fishermen standing way off center. When I did that, I'd need one the oars to shift position to match my hands.

I have always liked the quietness of the rope wrap over sleeves, but usually I'm just focused on how tired my lats are from holding up the weight of the non-counterbalanced oars my friends all use.
Old 07-17-2015   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

Cobras have a little to much surface area for my tastes as well. I like regular brass locks and rope wrap. The wrap spins fine until it is under tension and then it bites, which I like.
Old 07-17-2015   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Cobras have a little to much surface area for my tastes as well. I like regular brass locks and rope wrap. The wrap spins fine until it is under tension and then it bites, which I like.
Damn, I was hoping you'd say "put some XYZ on the wrap and you'll be set". I tried some nice spring yellow ski wax and it's better but not great.

Interestingly my 8 year old wraps work fine in the cobras, hardly a noticeable difference. It's the new chit from sawyer, feels like sandpaper. I was hoping it would start breaking down or get "filled" with brass powder by now. I might keep trying stuff because I really like the vertical throw the cobras have.
Old 07-17-2015   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Nothing like well seasoned rope wrap. They will get brass on them with use. Good excuse to get out more.

You could always bring them out here and row me around fishing. That'll break the wrap in in a hurry.

I guess you could try some 303. That will make anything slicker than snot.