Rookie Question About Oars - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-11-2017   #1

Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2017
Rookie Question About Oars

Hello all,

As the title says, I'm a rookie. We are gearing up for our first season as a white water family and I'm stoked! Along with my excitement I've come up with a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answer to.

First, how are oars measured? I was given with my boat two Carlisle Oar Shafts that measure out at 74 1/2" long. I purchased another for dirt cheap that is 92 1/2". Are the blades an additional 2' which would effectively make 8 & 10 foot oars?

Additionally, I seem to be finding a ton of different answers on proper oar length. Just searching here I've come up with everything from 7.5' to 10'. Can someone give me a basic answer fit for a beginner?

Last, if the 74 1/2" shafts are the correct length is it ok for me to cut down the 92 1/2" shaft to make a spare?

My boat is a 14' U-Disco bucket boat and the frame is homemade but awesome, running pins & clips and about 66" between the pins.

Thanks in advance for any help!

bwaters932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017   #2
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
Carlisle blades are around 27" long.
So the 74.5" shaft will make a 8.5ft oar and the 92.5" will make for a 10ft oar.
Carlisle Oar Shaft at nrs.com

A 14'er at 66" width- I'd definitely be using the 10' oar.
8.5' will be really short on that setup. Might be usable as a spare, but not very comfortably.

Good luck, and have fun with that Udisco!
My first boat was a tank of an old 'disco. Real love/hate kinda thing

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaters932 View Post
Hello all,

First, how are oars measured? I was given with my boat two Carlisle Oar Shafts that measure out at 74 1/2" long. I purchased another for dirt cheap that is 92 1/2". Are the blades an additional 2' which would effectively make 8 & 10 foot oars?
Yes, you measure the oar with the blade on it.

Quote:
Last, if the 74 1/2" shafts are the correct length is it ok for me to cut down the 92 1/2" shaft to make a spare?
It can be done. I found it easier to pull the handle off and cut it at that end, instead of the blade end.

Quote:
My boat is a 14' U-Disco bucket boat and the frame is homemade but awesome, running pins & clips and about 66" between the pins.

Thanks in advance for any help!
It's hard to be sure from where I sit, but if the 74 1/2" shafts came with the boat as a complete set up, they should work for you too. When rowing, you want the handles about chest height when your working them. Too long and you'll hit your knees when bringing them back for the next stroke. Too short and they will be up by your ears when you take a stroke. Hope this helps a little.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017   #4

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
If you are cutting 1.5 feet of a Carlisle you will have to cut the handle end. You are going to run into the double tube inside. You are going to have to shave the handle down to fit inside this double tube.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you end up cutting down any Carlisle shafts, remove the handle and do it from that end, since the blade end has an inner shaft of aluminum once you get past the single layer where the blade goes in, you can ruin the shafts cutting the blade end( ask me how I learned that!)
Most oarsmen with a 14' raft run a 9-10' oar, I usually run 10' oars with my 14'er, but if it is a really tight section of river, I use my 9's.

Also, it is best to get out a bit first, without the kids, especially if they are smaller, and get some practice, find your ability/ comfort level. Find some experienced boaters to run with, and work your way up ability wise. I'm definitely a big fan of swiftwater rescue courses and guide/ private boater schools, when you're first learning. I have heard there are some good options in the North West. So much they can teach you, about running whitewater, and being safe out there!

Welcome to mtn Buzz, and the most worthwhile sport ( obsession?) I know of!!
Happy to help ya out if you need advice with rafting stuff.

-Matt
Old 02-12-2017   #6

Henderson, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2007
I would have to agree with Mattman. I have a set of 9' oars for tighter rivers but like the 10' in bigger water. Have fun and be safe.

Rick
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017   #7

Denver, Colorado
I read somewhere that 14' rafts usually have 9-10ft oars, was too ignorant to form an independent opinion, and split the difference with 9.5'.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017   #8

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You can get 1' extensions for carslile oars. Add them to your 8.5 shafts, and cut 6" off the handle side of your 10' shaft and you will have a set of 9.5' oars, which is a good size for a 14' raft.

Take the money I just saved you and buy towers, locks and sleeves. Throw away the pins and clips. You will be better off learning to row without the pins and clips and without oar rights.

This will give you an acceptable setup to run for a season or two before you start thinking about tweaking your setup or upgrading from that udisco.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #9

Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2017
Thanks for the great replies everyone! It sounds like the shafts may not work out for my boat, and that's ok. As Mike said I can get extensions, or I may just opt to buy new shafts. Great heads up from several people on cutting the handle end. I really appreciate that bit of wisdom!

Mikepart, I'd like to run oar locks, but the pins are absolutely stuck in my frame. I tried everything short of cutting them out and welding a new section in to get them out. With that, I will just stick with what I have for this year, and as long as my family is as into it as I expect I will have a good winter project next year.

Mattman, I would love to get into a SWR class or even a beginning rafting class. Can you point me in any general direction where I might find either of those in my area?

I will be running roadside class 2 and 3 stuff this year. All of it pretty mild, but I will definitely make a few runs without the kiddo with.

Thanks again!
bwaters932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have been to several rescue 3 courses, and they did a really good job.
Can't remember the name of the Oregon company that Runs Private boater schools, maybe ask Rescue 3? Bet they could point you in a good direction.

There are plenty of opinions out there on pins and clips, versus open oar versus oar rights, and there are advantages and disadvantages to all three.

I have run pins and clips for 16 years, and been happy with them, and will probably stick with them, partly because I have jacked up wrists, and feathering is hard on the wrists. It's the setup I use in stuff I can barely squeeze an 11' boat through, as well as in the grand Canyon at 20,000 cfs, advantages, disadvantages, and personal preference, you will find many strong opinions on this topic.

Best of luck!
Matt Man