rolling up a super puma or maravia spider... - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-31-2015   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
rolling up a super puma or maravia spider...

Have looked at a Sotar 11 or 12 ft... not sure that's the way I'm going to go ...anyone have any experience rolling up a super puma or maravia spider? The floorslook like they might be a bit of an issue ?? Sold my 15 Avon with my trailer, and wanting something I can use wo a trailer this year ...r2 or r3, then next yr get a small frame and trailer... mostly western Colo and Utah... any info would be appreciated.... not doing a lot of creeks, just want to go smaller and simpler. Thanks!

dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015   #2

Spokane, Washington
I have a Puma, and it rolls up with no problems for transport. I also boat with a friend who rolls his Super Duper Puma to fit in the back of a VW Golf with no problems or issues. Best of luck with your decision.
cxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
opinions are a dime a dozen, however my experiences with Super Pumas make me believe if there is one all around raft, the Super Puma comes close as can be.

You can paddle boat them just about anywhere and add a good frame based rowing setup it will take you and a friend on most over or multi nights. Granted you need to pack carefully but you can be plenty comfortable. I have a bud who rows his Super Puma right along with the big gear rafts. He just figures his lines a bit better than the average big raft driver.

I have been at the oars with a couple paddlers in front and we had many good times on the ARK from Numbers to Browns to Royal Gorge. Unloaded this setup can be maneuvered down some awfully tight rapids.

My buds roll these super pumas up tight and stash them in some smaller vehicles or in the back of a pick up truck, no problems.

I am not that familiar with the other short rafts but am sure others will give their opinions as well.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015   #4

Spokane, Washington
I have a Puma, and it rolls up with no problems for transport. I also boat with a friend who rolls his Super Duper Puma to fit in the back of a VW Golf with no problems or issues. Best of luck with your decision.
cxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015   #5

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
You don't roll a Maravia- you fold it. You'll be fine with either choice.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I have a Spider and I think it is a great boat. It doesn't roll up easily or small. I also don't like the thwart attachment system. But I do like the boat very much.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015   #7
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Super Puma is a great boat. Mine is from 2000 and it is still going strong. I r2 to r5 comfortably and r7 very occasionally. I also OAR it from time to time and sometimes with a family of 4 and the dog, so yes, it is a very well rounded boat. Excels at small to medium rivers, but will treat you right in just about any river. It rolls fine with a little effort and I used to stuff it into the back of 95 Jetta. Maravias do not roll easily. The NewWave 3 that I use does not like being put away and puts up a grand fight. This is even worse in low temperatures.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015   #8

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I've got two patches on the floor (one at each end) of my Maravia from where it creased and sprung leaks when I rolled it for transport & storage inside a boat bag. Hypalon rolls up smaller and without as bad a problem with folds. That said, that boat is 13 years old now and I only got a trailer that can haul it inflated a year ago.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
As far as PVC boats go, AIRE boats roll up the best/ smallest. I have buddies who have rolled theirs for over 10 years with no problems. I dread "rolling" the Maravias everytime they come in the shop. Sotars arent as bad as Maravias, but a far cry from the ease and size of an AIRE boat.
Old 02-02-2015   #10

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I wonder if the folks who struggle with FOLDING a Maravia boat are vacuuming the air out first. Makes a hell of a difference. My first Maravia had some issues- and I was able to fold it solo and fit it back in the original box. My current one (Zephyr) is folded and sitting on a shelf in my garage. Suck the air out and follow the directions- not that big a deal, really.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote