Rolling / storing PVC boat, advice? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-22-2013   #1
Was here

Southern, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
Rolling / storing PVC boat, advice?

I'm putting my 2010 16' Odyssey PVC boat up for the winter. The boat is new to me this season, and although I love it so far, I know little about pvc material. (I've been an avid hypalon guy since 1994 when I purchased my other boat new) it's obvious to me now that the rubber rolls much better...

Question: is it ok to roll it tight and let it be for the winter, without any damage? Obviously I'll consider moisture, temp, and rodents. I'm concerned about creases and other things that I may be unaware of.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

(photo with hypalon being the smaller roll, both stored on wooden box with rollers)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130922_171333.png
Views:	432
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	7166

Not rolled very tight right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130922_171352.png
Views:	424
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	7167

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013   #2

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Advice would be don't roll it for long term storage. It you have to the looser the better. Any way you could leave it partially inflated? Or even suspend it from the garage ceiling from pulleys?
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #3
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
PVC/ urethane sucks for storing rolled up. Sotar says you can store their boats rolled up, but I don't think I can even get mine in the supplied boat bag
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013   #4
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
I have been storing my aire boats rolled for many years with no issue.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
One folds a PVC boat moreso than rolls it. It will store fine.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013   #6

Avon, Colorado
PVC storage.

I hang my partly inflated Vanguard from a rack on the garage ceiling in the winter. Rolled it up for a couple of winters prior and had no issues. I felt like I had the space to hang it and that it might preserve the material just a bit better. Not sure you can really go wrong as long as you're conscious of how your storing it.
Powdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #7

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Use an electric inflater pump to suck the air out aand then roll it as tight as you need too. Also a good idea to store and transport it in a bag if you don't keep in on a trailer.
Don't worry about storing a PVC or Urethane boat rolled up, people including me have done it for years.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavester View Post
Also a good idea to store and transport it in a bag if you don't keep in on a trailer.
Ditto.

Lots of good info above.

When I was researching PVC boats awhile back I heard somewhere that the majority of repairs to PVC boats are due to damage in transit or during handling. This is due to the abrasion and wear when a boat rubbing against stuff while driving to /from the river. If you're not trailering your boat rigged, storing & transporting the boat in it's bag, or at least rolled up in a tarp, are very important for a PVC boat.

If you're rolling and unrolling a PVC boat, do it when the material is relatively warm.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #9
Was here

Southern, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
This is great information, thanks to all who have posted so far. I'm betting the issues all arise from the hard/sharp edges that form when rolled... I haven't seen edges like that on my hypalon boat, when rolled. I may even consider using a bit of vacuum to get a little more air out if I'm going to go through the trouble (risk) of rolling it.
Old 09-30-2013   #10

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
In my experience sucking out every last bit of air in my pvc and urethane boats makes the edges of the folds REALLY sharp, and it concerns me.

So, I generally suck the air out and then let a little bit back in to "soften" the edges....and it seems to roll better like this too.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote