roller for a raft trailer? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-31-2009   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
roller for a raft trailer?

Anyone have a good design to retrofit a Sanford and Son, wood trailer with a roller to make loading/unloading easier? The trailer has wood side rails and cross members so I could attach almost anything (and have in the past).

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009   #2

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Search for "trailer roller" . think it was El Falco (or Meng) that had a nice removeable setup. Northern Tools Supply (something like that)...and Harbor Freight sold 20" long rollers $15 each (get 3-4 of them). i am gonna pursue this during the winter.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #3
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Mike,
I have simliar sounding trailer. I started using a piece of PVC pipe that sits loosely under the raft. Definitly Sanford and Son like, but works pretty well and is simple.
Arn
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sounds like Arn's got the winner for low tech - if it was good enough for the Egyptians then why not for us?

I've got a really good roller setup that Marshall did for me when he still had his fab shop but... The best, low-cost, and simplest fixed-mount option I've seen is a steel pipe with a slightly larger PVC pipe as a sleeve over it. One moving part, water won't hurt it, slight warping isn't a problem, etc. I've even seen a setups like this ranging from 4" steel pipe to one using 1" galvanized pipe.

Doubtless you could rig this up so it could be bolted on in Feb. when the Salt season starts and taken off in November at the end of the season after you get back from Big Bend, that way you'd have the trailer to do home improvement projects with during the rest of the year.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #5

The best designs I've seen are the fixed pipe with a large floating piece of PVC over it. The PVC does the rolling. I've seen one large 6' long 3" Al pipe with 2 elbows mounting it to the trailer at the rear and then the PVC is slide over the Al pipe before assembly allowing for the rolling. I've also seen it done with 2 shorter rollers just under the tubes (won't slide as much at the start).
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
nice good beta. I was wondering how to get the roll with the stiffness. Now I know. PVC over aluminum pipe. I'll take a photo of my ghetto trailer when I am done. thanks.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #7

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
I even saw two rolling pins once, had to laugh but I am sure it worked. Funny thing is I came up with the pipe and PVC all on my own before I saw it listed here then had to cut my trailer down so it was lower and no tailgate w/roller. Now I have two 24" wide 16' long carpeted plywood planks for my cat-a-slug and I'm thinking about two seterate rollers one for each side and I may engineer them to fold but then again once the taper it over them it doesn't matter. At one point my 24" planks pivoted on hinges to make them the side walls of my trailer so I could use it better to haul stuff not related to the Cat-a-Slug.
Old 08-31-2009   #8
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Might try PVC over square tubing. Less friction involved so the PVC rolls easier. The PVC only touchs at the four corners of the square tubing and since the tubing is square its easier to bolt to a flat surface.
Old 08-31-2009   #9

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
I found press in bearings at the hardware store that fit 1 inch and a quarter emt tubing perfectly. Drilled holes in both flat sides of 2 inch angle cut to about two inches and mounted it to the rear frame of trailer. I used two inch hex head bolts and two nuts on each side of the angle to lock in the bearings. Plenty stiff and cost about 15 bucks.
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #10

poncha springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post
Anyone have a good design to retrofit a Sanford and Son, wood trailer with a roller to make loading/unloading easier? The trailer has wood side rails and cross members so I could attach almost anything (and have in the past).
brewer welding....rodney builds the best damn roller you'll find....221-1916
kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting