Roll-A-Cot Modification - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-18-2018   #1

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Roll-A-Cot Modification

I use a Roll-A-Cot almost every trip. I bought my first one in 1991 and have never had looked back.
I like the way I can pick a place near the water and don't need much footprint. One downside is I find myself having to level the cot out with rocks, etc. I made this set of adjustable legs to solve the problem. I can get about 5 inches of adjustment on any leg and didn't add but about 2 inches height to the cot.
I went to the thrift store and got two sets of crutches, disassembled them and used the adjustable portion to make the legs. I did have to cut the cot legs down and drill out the pins. I replaced the pins with 1/4 stainless steel hardware and used nylock nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0928 (3).JPG
Views:	269
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	31339   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0930 (3).JPG
Views:	303
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	31341  

dsrtrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2018   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
nice.
yardsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1989
I love roll a cots too, made in Spokane USA as well. As far as levelers, and not on par with these legs, is a simple leveling device I have used over the years for van sleeping, cots, kitchen tables etc is a simple piece of wood (choose size for what it is you are leveling) 2 x 6 for example, cut it into three even pieces, then put hinges on either end of the middle piece and on opposite sides. This will give you a (cheap) portable leveling device. You can use one, two or three stacked just by folding it over. Ive seen folks get fancier with it over the years using more pieces or varying the sizes, but its a great way to build one for cheap. If you were making one for a roll cot, you could make it about the size of a couple decks of cards. I've almost always been able to do it with two levelers. Fold them up and throw them in back or in the drybox. Just a cheap dirtbag hint.
Vasevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2018   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Drink beer. Crush cans (rinse them in the river first, of course). Smash and stick under cot feet. Or, pass out in the warm, soft sand.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Seriously tho, nice job and a great idea! I have only slept in my Roll-a-cot on the Grand on my cat boat in August. It was level and it was great! I plan to expand my use and sure my appreciation will grow.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018   #6
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
This is actually brilliant, seems like a bit of work, but a cheap fix to a common issue. Nice work!
Old 07-20-2018   #7

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
I have the adjustable legs they sell for the tables, surprised they don't offer it for cots.

Sent from my XT1585 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 07-20-2018   #8

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
I have the adjustable legs they sell for the tables, surprised they don't offer it for cots.
I have the adjustable table legs also. I am not sure similar cot legs would hold up under the weight of a person for very long. The button and hole might not take the abuse.
Old 07-21-2018   #9

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasevida View Post
I love roll a cots too, made in Spokane USA as well. As far as levelers, and not on par with these legs, is a simple leveling device I have used over the years for van sleeping, cots, kitchen tables etc is a simple piece of wood (choose size for what it is you are leveling) 2 x 6 for example, cut it into three even pieces, then put hinges on either end of the middle piece and on opposite sides. This will give you a (cheap) portable leveling device. You can use one, two or three stacked just by folding it over. Ive seen folks get fancier with it over the years using more pieces or varying the sizes, but its a great way to build one for cheap. If you were making one for a roll cot, you could make it about the size of a couple decks of cards. I've almost always been able to do it with two levelers. Fold them up and throw them in back or in the drybox. Just a cheap dirtbag hint.

I use a 2x4 with a small groove drilled in it for the leg to seat. I initially used it in the tent on sand to protect the tent floor on rainy nights, but then I drilled the other side to have some height adjustment. I hadn't needed much more height adjustment than that but I suppose I could drill the end to get a full 4" of height.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 08-31-2018   #10

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Brilliant!!!
Desert Rat,
Give us a tutorial on how to copy you!! I’m going on a Hells Canyon trip in 2 weeks and might be able to get it done on my 3 cots before I go.
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote