Rocky Mtn Rafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-25-2013   #1

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Rocky Mtn Rafts

I had the chance to paddle with the R&D crew of RMR on the Taylor River last weekend. It was my first chance to get to see how these budget rafts are put together, and meet the people behind them.
I paddled their duckies and a 10.5 foot raft prototype. I was pretty impressed
The material and seams look to be bomber, and the raft seems to be of same quality of boats twice the price.
The R&D guys were fine tuning the selfbailing floors on both the raft and the duck, finding just the right spot to attach floor to tube. It's actually not as straight forward as you might think to get the floor in the sweet spot.

If your thinking about buying one of these boats, I'd say go for it. Once your paddling I bet you forget that it cost half as much as some of the boats out there. I can't wait to see the final version of the 10.5 footer, the new floor design looks like its going to be pretty fast on the water.

The guys behind this company are good dudes, It was great to paddle with Denny, Zack and their newest sales rep Bobby Bower.

CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013   #2

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
Are they doing drop-stitch floors?
AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #3
Froggy

Payson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
Have to admit.. they seem like a pretty good looking product. I'm in the market for a new boat and am pretty much sold on the Aire 156r, but the price of the RMR 16 footer is sure tempting!

Had the chance to meet Denny and buy some gear from him a couple of years ago.... seems like a stand up guy.

My biggest issue is simply where the boats are made. Even with the price, I'm having a hard time getting past this.

Thoughts?
Wyomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013   #4

Lawson, Colorado
Went thru the same thought process about this time last year: RMR sure do look nice and I think they are an excellent boat especially for someone just getting into the river scene.

We were upgrading from an AIRE Trib 14' which we ran for 6 seasons: it is still going strong just with a new owner-my brother.

Went with the 156R and very happy about that decision one year later.
eze420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #5

Crested Butte, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJefe View Post
Are they doing drop-stitch floors?
The boats they were testing on the taylor all had baffeled floors. They were working on a different floor design that had a diminishing taper at bow and stern for smoother entry.
Old 09-25-2013   #6

Crested Butte, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomed View Post
My biggest issue is simply where the boats are made. Even with the price, I'm having a hard time getting past this.

Thoughts?
I think that all of the "budget" rafts out there are made somewhere other than the US. I know lots of my boating gear is made abroad, I don't mind as long as its well made.

Denny told me that it's a pretty small crew of guys in China that are actually welding the boats together and they are getting really good at the process.
Old 09-25-2013   #7

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Tributary is likewise an imported product. Personal decision and no real criticism either way.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #8

Lotus, California
Paddling Since: 1982
wwnomad

Rocky Mountain will have Drop Stitch, lace in floors available for 2014
wwnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerflatlander View Post

Thoughts?
Tributary is likewise an imported product. Personal decision and no real criticism either way.[/QUOTE]

NRS boats are not made in US of A but cost 2 x as much
bighorn1478@msn.com is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #10

cedar city, Utah
Slowly converting from catarafting to rafting so I have kept my eye out on the various brands.

Price point and overall look appealing on these guys. But as I boat more one thing stands out to me......these are heavy beasts. We spend alot of time maneuvering empty rubber and that extra weight is just unappealing. Most of the people i know who own these rigs wouldn't do so without it trailered and inflated. A fact that doesn't work for a lot of us in the desert SW.

Always good to see more players in the field. Will keep an eye on their developments as I assume, from their popular response to their product, that RMR will be around for a while.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote