Road Tar - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-24-2018   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Road Tar

Picked up some road tar on my raft (2007 Avon Adventurer) and want to know if should leave it be or pick it off. And if so, is there a best practice? Must have driven over new road.

mdwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018   #2

Vanderwagen, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
Try toluene and a rag. Just make sure you wear gloves and work in well ventilated space. FYI, the smallest quantity of toluene I can find locally is 1 gallon.
Mtnbuzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018   #3

Clancy, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Depending on the thickness of the tar you can use starting fluid. Spray and wipe as you go. I've used on my NRS and it work great!
PAU in a NRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018   #4
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Goof Off works on tar as well and is less toxic, though it requires a bit more elbow grease. The other downside would be getting a patch to stick to it later, so take that into consideration no matter what you use.
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018   #5

Pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
tar

look at my thread from last August (8/24/17) "Asphalt mess" there's the same info there. BTW, I avoided all the petroleum based cleaning products, I don't want that stuff on my tubes.
Waterhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018   #6

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Orange hand cleaner w/out the pumice, use with a magic eraser.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I wonder if it will pop off easily this winter if you let it freeze and the tar hardens? Once the tar is hard you may be able to deflate the boat and sort of roll the material. Stiff stuff doesn't bond well to pliable material when the pliable is bent, if that makes sense. Several raft accessories, rub strakes, thwart attachments, etc are a testament of such that were purposely bonded and then gave up over time with the material being folded. If its not bothering you terribly, which it sounds like it isn't, it may be worth a try before you go hog wild with toluene or other nasty shit that your material doesn't love. Never tried it, just a thought.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
I wonder if it will pop off easily this winter if you let it freeze and the tar hardens? Once the tar is hard you may be able to deflate the boat and sort of roll the material. Stiff stuff doesn't bond well to pliable material when the pliable is bent, if that makes sense. Several raft accessories, rub strakes, thwart attachments, etc are a testament of such that were purposely bonded and then gave up over time with the material being folded. If its not bothering you terribly, which it sounds like it isn't, it may be worth a try before you go hog wild with toluene or other nasty shit that your material doesn't love. Never tried it, just a thought.
I agree. You might not get it 100% off, but you might get off the majority of the tar.

Alternately try a stiff plastic scraper or a metal scraper with rounded corners to pop off the blobs--but do this when it's cold.

Next spring you can get the residue with your chemical or non-chemical of your choice and less elbow grease than trying to get all the tar blobs off manually.

Story time: a friend of mine works for a paving company. They often mill roads or recycle asphalt. When the asphalt is in big chunks, they take it back to the plant and leave it in a pile. If they try to grind or crush it in the summertime, it just makes a gooey sticky mess. They wait until winter when the material and the equipment is cold and then it fractures nicely with much less mess. They then run it through the kiln and add a bit more oil and repave, or sell the "millings" that you can compact on your driveway on a hot summer day and it's almost as good as brand new asphalt (particularly for home non-high-traffic use).
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018   #9

Bailey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I've had some luck w/ WD40 on my truck before...

I would be careful with the aerosol goof off... not sure if the boat would like it. It chews up rubber door moldings on cars, and discolors them.

Laminate sample chips from Home Depot make great non marring scrapers and they're free!
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018   #10

Ellensburg, Washington
Paddling Since: 1982
Had the same happen, used a knife to scrape it off. That ol' trick, eh James? .
GOTY2011 is offline   Reply With Quote