RMR v. Hyside - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-21-2014   #1

fort collins, Colorado
RMR v. Hyside

Hey paddlers,
I'm in the market for a small boat that I would paddle mostly on the Poudre River. I'd like to use it to paddle R2--4, maybe 5. Because I am a raft guide I have the opportunity to buy a new hyside mini max for around $1800. Which is a damn good deal. But I often see 12 foot Rocky Mountain Rafts boats for sale around 1500. Money is of course tight and I'd like to save a few hundred bucks. I also like the idea of having the 12 foot boat because it seems easier to put an extra paddler or two in there. (But I also have access to a 14 foot Otter). On the other hand, I like the portability and the value of my Mini Max deal.

Thoughts on which is the better deal for me?

jrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2014   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
mini max are sweet little boats and I paddle it r5 all the time... I don't have much experience with RMR besides seeing them on the water... I know they are a great deal havier... and you cant really argue with the reputation and durability of high sides...

I occasionally wish I had a slightly larger boat ( I have a mini max) ... but really the only time I want a bigger boat is when Shoshone is at 15 thousand cfs... for most Colorado water ways I prefer the smaller boat... it makes class 3 feel super exciting!!!

and Colorado isn't exactly a big water state... so the little boat makes sense... its a dream at the put in and take out... I can move it myself... inflate it myself... etc....

and I have also taken a family of 7 down in my mini max.. 4 adults on the tubes,, 3 little kids on the thwarts... its a pretty versatile boat... and I really don't think the RMR would compare when it comes to r2 manueverablity... the mini max s suh a fun little nimble boat... and if it does flip, so easy to right....

my vote is a mini max... sweet boats...

but really you cant go wrong....

try to decide if generally you will have 5 or less paddlers... its rare for me to have a group much bigger... which is why I have a couple duckies to put people in if my mini max fills up...
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014   #3

Putney, Vermont
Paddling Since: 2009
I'm pretty interested in any feedback here too, especially if anyone's able to compare the Mini Max to RMR's 10.5 footer, the Storm.
garcia.galili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2014   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
RMR: 10'6" long. by 5'2" wide. it says max paddlers is 4. 79lbs . cannot find amount of rocker.. 5 year warranty

Highside: 10'6" long. 5' wide. max paddlers 5. 67lbs. 25inches of rocker... 10 year warranty...

seam to be very similar dimensions... but better warranty and lighter im sure with highside...

its just like anything else im sure...the RMR will be perfectly fine... but if you have the few extra hundred dollars you get a better warranty and maybe a slightly better boat with the high side...

I would also imagine that the highside rolls up a bit tighter than the RMR. so if space and rolling size is a factor id lean high side...
Old 09-21-2014   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
I thought hyside had 10 year warranty , now I am only seeing a 5 year..
Old 09-21-2014   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Hyside, no question. However, having paddled rafts on the Poo for a decade, I've gotta wonder if you've looked into the slightly narrower Super Puma?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014   #7

fort collins, Colorado
Thanks for the input everyone. I suspected that going with the minimax would be my best option, and I think y'all just confirmed that.

...And I have paddled a Super Puma--and I definitely prefer the max.
jrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #8

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
apples and oranges my friend. I like The PVC RMR well enough, but they seem to be on the top end of the budget rafts whereas Hyde is a top of the line hypalon boat. that is unless you're looking at their new neoprene boats which I know nothing about, just my 2 cents
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #9

Montrose, Colorado
Get the Hyside if it meets your needs. In a few years if you need something bigger, get another Hyside. You will never regret getting the Hyside.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #10

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrankin View Post
Hey paddlers,
I'm in the market for a small boat that I would paddle mostly on the Poudre River. I'd like to use it to paddle R2--4, maybe 5. Because I am a raft guide I have the opportunity to buy a new hyside mini max for around $1800. Which is a damn good deal. But I often see 12 foot Rocky Mountain Rafts boats for sale around 1500. Money is of course tight and I'd like to save a few hundred bucks. I also like the idea of having the 12 foot boat because it seems easier to put an extra paddler or two in there. (But I also have access to a 14 foot Otter). On the other hand, I like the portability and the value of my Mini Max deal.

Thoughts on which is the better deal for me?
You guys don't get pro deal on RMR?
Not a knock on RMR but there is reason a 20 year old Hyside is priced similar to a Brand new RMR.