RM Rafts "Booze Cruise" packages? Or create my own...? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 02-15-2011   #1
o_O

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
RM Rafts "Booze Cruise" packages? Or create my own...?

Looking to put together a rowing package for my annual trip down the San Juan. This will be my first raft. I can no longer overload my duckie with two coolers and camping gear for a 5 day trip.

Basically my question is: should I just opt for a "Booze Cruise" package by RM Rafts (with the possibility of a frame upgrade) or just a buy a raft+frame+oars+etc+etc separately?

I'm a grad student and thus I am not rich. Saving money is a big priority for me. And like I said, this would only be used at most two weeks a year... so the highest quality gear is not a necessity.

Basically I want the blessing of some veteran rafters before I buy an entire set.

Thanks in advance.

Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011   #2

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
I just bought a saturn raft from RMrafts. there are a ton of Saturn haters on here so be ready to talked out of it. When the raft came I inspected it very closely. I like it a lot. The floor of the self bailer isn't laced in like others. It has a thick rubber floor and then a drop stitch floor that is glued on in three places. I got it because it is a deal. I will have to buy 4 extra d rings to attach to the boat, for my liking and preference. The boat is heavy, but it is what I need. I live in Northern AZ, and mostly kayak. When I do raft, I guide for several companies. I want to stop borrowing gear and have my own for privates. I already have 3 private trips set up for this year alone.
The booze cruise package has 5 NRS lifjackets and a 25 liter bag. If you need to supply life jackets for people, then that is great. I feel that everyone should buy their own lifejacket. The 25 liter drybag, can be found anywhere.
I have a buddy looking into this package right now and thought he should call Joe, and try to trade the 5 lifejackets ($50 each) for an extra bar, or a cooler. If you need the 5 lifejackets for the fam, be sure to get the proper sizes. I think the Saturn boat is fine and will last me for years, the price will also allow me to support all my other habits and allow me to get to the rivers. RMRafts has great customer service and are great to work with.
This is my opinion, before I start getting trashed on here for saying I like the saturn raft. I am doing a 3 person paddle trip on the Juan for 3 days this weekend, I'll let you know how it is on the river, I don't have a frame yet
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #3
o_O

Denver, Colorado
Oh awesome, thanks for the opinion, topbud. I messaged RM rafts on Thursday but haven't gotten a response yet. I love the idea of trading the life jackets for an extra bar or cooler. I certainly don't need 5 jackets. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011   #4

Flagstaff, Arizona
I just looked at your pictures, and the raft would be better quality than those duckies for sure. Try calling Joe, he'll return your call in minutes.
Old 02-15-2011   #5
o_O

Denver, Colorado
Yea, we definitely have received a lot of strange looks from other rafters in previous years when they see our convoy of Sea Eagles. One lady even called us "cute" last year. I think that put me over the edge and made me decide to finally buy a raft. I'll try calling Joe sometime this week.
Old 02-15-2011   #6

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
I guess it all depends on what you're studying? Are you one of those professional student types, or is your degree actually going to lead you to more money?
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #7
o_O

Denver, Colorado
I study rivers (fluvial geomorphology). Only getting a masters so I am not a "professional student type". Should be done this December. Getting more money with the degree is indeed my goal.

Why does this matter, exactly?
Old 02-15-2011   #8
o_O

Denver, Colorado
Ah, great advice, lhowemt. Will take all of that into consideration.

It's really tough to say how much I'll be using it in the future. Currently I live in New Orleans and have to take a long vacation, drive my gear up to Utah, and spend a week on the river. One week a year.

Hopefully next year I'll be moving to Colorado or Utah and could get away from work more easily and more often to float different (and possibly rockier) rivers. But that all depends on the job market. If I do move to CO/UT... I think you are right in saying that I would want a better raft. hhhhhmmmmm decisions decision...
Old 02-15-2011   #9

Flagstaff, Arizona
There are tons of decisions to be made about boats and set ups. Let us know what you decide. All I'm saying is using the boat for 2 weeks a year, it may be worth it, if you take care of it.
Old 02-15-2011   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by topbud View Post
I just bought a saturn raft from RMrafts. there are a ton of Saturn haters on here so be ready to talked out of it. When the raft came I inspected it very closely. I like it a lot. The floor of the self bailer isn't laced in like others. It has a thick rubber floor and then a drop stitch floor that is glued on in three places. I got it because it is a deal. I will have to buy 4 extra d rings to attach to the boat, for my liking and preference. The boat is heavy, but it is what I need.
So let me get this straight, you just bought it. Inspected it very closely and have already determined that you "like it a lot"???.

Yes I do have a grudge against the dick in Boise who did the spoof scam email bullshit a few years ago.

Glad you got yerself a raft and hope it holds up for you. Truly I do. Maybe your opinion won't change and I hope you have a good trip.

To the OP - just ignore Marco "buzzkill" esqwhatever. He is a professional troll and most of us do in fact ignore him. Never on topic always a downer.

I am trying to stay open about these rafts but the Buzz has 20 people a year coming on here to ask about them. People post about how great they are and all the gnar they run and that outfitters do five trips a day with them but I have yet to see the photos. No one seems to be able to find their files or.......

I have seen a couple on our local day stretch and I didn't like the way they sat it the water but that is subjective. They looked.....piggish.

I guarantee if you do have a problem with these ( and I hope you don't) it will happen in one of the worst places ever to have a problem. If you are doing a multi day that is.

Best of luck.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote