Riverbank Toilet by Selway Fab - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Riverbank Toilet by Selway Fab

Hey Buzzards,
I used my Trump stimulus check to get myself a groover. I have a question about the seal for the lid. The gasket seems a little too big for the tank, I assume this is to allow for compression over time. Wondering if i should grease it with petroleum jelly or something to get it to set properly?
I've usedand dumped other peoples groovers, but this is my first time breaking in a new one. Any tips or suggestions? Christen it with a splash of tequila? I have a feeling my daughter is going to get first tracks...

Senor D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I would spray down the inside with PAM or equivalent. Really nice system except that when in use mode the toilet seat does not make a good seal with the tank allowing flies/insects inside the tank. There are some pics and stories in an old thread on the buzz about a dung beetle infestation on the MS. Not pretty. Other than that awesome system. (If you let the seat/lid drop when you are done with your business it makes a thud that echos off surrounding cliffs.)
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthomas View Post
(If you let the seat/lid drop when you are done with your business it makes a thud that echos off surrounding cliffs.)
Thanks, I will give it a spray. My musically inclined friends already commented that you could play it like a Cajon whilst doing your business.
Sad to hear about the lid, the gap looks pretty tight right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

NE, Oregon
No! Don't use a fat to lubricate, or any lubrication. Then you have to soap and hand wash , gross. Store with gasket off lid. The tight fit is good for sealing.. when placing lid on tighten tabs like a car tire, opposites. Other wise the lid can rotate as you push it down. I speak from experience with a very close call of putting my hand in the contents.

The lack of a seal while set up is a minor flaw in my book, the bugs bother some, to me not that big a deal. The biggest downside of the lid and lack of seal is the tank collects rainwater that falls on the lid. When it rains a garbage bag over it solves the issue.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Definitely a large, healthy population of beetles in mine on Hells Canyon last year. Will probably throw some insecticide in the groover kit.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
I don't own a Selway, but I've used several.

Most folks I know have a plastic plate or a plant saucer to cover the hole when not in use. It still lets SOME bugs in, but way fewer. This works with other styles of toilet that have gaps between the seat and the lid like Partner or Eco-Safe. Just find the right size. Large plant saucers have tapered sides so it won't fall in. The reason manholes are round is that's the only shape that the lid can never fall into.

Don't grease the seal. Sand will stick to it among other problems. If you want to seat it in (bad pun), I bet you could put some soap water on it and leave it sealed a day or four, then take it apart for storage. That tight lid is a pain to get on or off, but it sure helps the unit keep it's shit together.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Another trick if you don't want to deal with a plate is occasionally sprinkle some pellet bleach in. Seems to keep the dung beetle situation down as well as smell.

I don't really see the problem with a taint tickle from beetle wings...wakes a person up in the morning.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Trumper

Perfect new name for the grooves. The Trumper! Hey can we pull over l gotta take a Trump. Is that gasket leaking I smell trump.
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1986
Addie at OARS in Flagstaff and Jason at Flagstaff River Supply (aka Wet Dreams RS) (and mebbe your local river gear company) make mesh groover covers for non-sealing groovers... nice handles so you can carry groover related stuff like pee bucket seat, dry bag w TP, cleaning kit, etc
No beetles, no sh** eating flies commuting from your groover to your kitchen - brings a new level of sanitize to our trips - and we just spray them with clorox-based toilet cleaner to sanitize each day while we clean the rest of the groover parts!
Unca Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Gracias!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, both private and public. We took it for an inaugural test with a weekend of BLM backcountry camping over Mothers Day. As predicted, my daughter got first tracks.
All in all, I am really impressed. Big target, no misses even with some younger testers. I used a touch of soapy water to help seat the gasket, and that was just the trick. We didn't have any issues with flies or other critters. It was only in the upper 70's, but I did see a few buzzing around. I am definitely going to look into the mesh cover. That or start marketing the flies like those foot eating fish I saw in the mall...
Disposal was a breeze. Our local sanitation district has a free dump station about a mile from the house. No blockages or klingons, just about as easy as could be. Granted, it was only about a quarter full, and I let the gals pee in it (it WAS Mothers Day, after all), but it was a marked improvement on the experience I had when helping my buddy empty two Eco tanks a few years back.
All in all, I am stoked with the Trump Dumper!! Deso next month for the real test!