River Tarps - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-23-2016   #1

Golden, Colorado
River Tarps

I found an old thread on this that was pretty in depth and tried to post on it but it was to old. So starting an updated thread.

I have been looking for a river tarp for the kitchen for some time, cost and design has kept me from any purchases. My wife ended up buying me a Noah's Tarp 16 for my Bday following a wet WW trip. From reading the previous post no one has anything fantastic to say about the Noah's tarp when setting up or versatility. With that said the price point is still good. I have not set the 16 up yet so time will tell...

My question is: Has anyone used the Noah's Tarp 20 and compared it to the 16. I am worried the increased size will make it exponentially more difficult to set up. I am hoping the larger size will make in a little easier to utilize the diamond shape of the shelter. I thoughts or pics would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2016   #2

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have 16 Noahs tarp, better than nothing but just barely. Can be set up if no wind by 2 people, 3 with wind. I would return it and save $ for a good one. A $10 tarp from Walmart is almost as good IMHO.
Old 11-23-2016   #3

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I really like the dragonfly tarps out of Idaho. Made by one of our own buzzards. Pricey but bomber.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2016   #4

San Diego, California
Paddling Since: 2008
I'll second the Dragon Fly Tarps recommendation. Matt Nelson makes a quality product that far exceeds any of the tarps available. Used 20x18 on 2 Deso trips, a Main Salmon and a Gran

iPad in Jaccuzi
Watusi_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016   #5

Golden, Colorado
Dragon Fly looks great. Price is the issue. I might be back to the $20 option...just cant swing $400 for the shelter right now.
Old 11-23-2016   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
What's your budget? That will help narrow down your choices.
Old 11-23-2016   #7

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
What's your budget? That will help narrow down your choices.
Would like to be in the $100-$150 range. With that said if it getting us something that is going to be a pain than even that is not worth. That is kind of the reason we have not pulled the trigger yet. We just were not committed on kelty and also not committed on spending $300-$450. Would also like something slightly bigger that 16ft
Old 11-23-2016   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
You could get a 15x15 from Cooke Custom Sewing for $230 in 1.9 Silnylon.
Old 11-23-2016   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I think the Kelty one is about as good as you are gonna get if you want to stick to $150 or less price range.

I'll agree that so far the Dragon one is too rich for my blood. I did a trip in the spring where we had the NRS over the Kitchen, a Big Agnes Deep Creek large as the hanging out area and someones shelter, and a Kelty Noah. Of those three, my favorite by far was the Big Agnes. The NRS was allright too, but the Big Agnes seemed easier to set up, covered better and seemed very sturdy. It isn't too expensive either at $229 for the large one. THey make a cool bug net system that clips underneath for those buggy trips like Desolation Canyon. The Noah's tarp hardly got setup and when it was most people didn't use it due to the shape and how it restricted head room.

On the Grand Canyon trip I did in August, the TL brought one he found on Amazon that "was the cheapest one" and it absolutely sucked. Really hard to put up, was very much not sturdy and seemed prone to blowing away even with light wind, and would load up with water easily.

I'm not saying you have to go all out and buy a $500 tarp, but at least going with the middle of the range ones is worth it. If it means saving up for another couple months or something then its worth it to me. To some degree, if you are gonna cheap out, you might as well just buy a blue tarp at the hardware store and tie it to a tree or similar.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016   #10

C. Springs, Colorado
Unlike others....I like my Noah's tarp. The way the sides are cut, it sheds water, unlike square tarps. The price is right and I use the center attach point when rigging under trees. I will say it's not great for large groups. If you get a tear in it, you won't be crying as hard as if it was a high dollar unit. I've had mine for about 10 years and it is still going strong. I usually use it as the main tarp and add sides to it with a few other nylon tarps from Sportsman's Warehouse. I finally bought some MSR poles to go with it. For years I used oars, but poles make it easier to set up. For "just the two of us" it's been perfect.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote