River clothes for covering up? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-10-2016   #1

River clothes for covering up?

My female friend, dare I say girlfriend, is very self concious about how she looks in a swim suit. It might be enough to keep her off the river. I am looking for help to find her something that she will be able to wear in the sun and not be to warm, but that will also look good and give her good cover.
She is fit and tiny, but has some skin issues. She is 5'2" and thin. I really hope she will join me on the river on warm trips.

spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2016   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Many very stylish PFDs on the market these days. My wife really likes her Astral with built-in beer holder 😀.

My friend, John, swears by his serape.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016   #3

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
A light colored long-sleeve men's dress shirt, preferably from a 2nd hand store, is my go-to on hot exposed trips for the sun protection and to keep women from hurling themselves at me. At least in my dreams.
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2016   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Sarong?
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016   #5

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Pretty sure you're not talking about pfds - in that case, sunshirts: long sleeve and breezy, hoods and thumb hooks, stylish and comfy w upf too. Patagooch and ExO make some good uns
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016   #6

Fort Collins
I have wrestled with this for my wife too. Currently, she is pretty happy in a cute tankini top/prana bottoms swimwear. The bottoms have a skirt attached. We also got her a river skirt a while back, which adds versitility. She likes her NRS hydro shin shorts with the skirt too. She also likes her NRS hydro silk shirt. Basically, a good shorts/skirt and t-shirt combo that makes her feel cute, and protects her from the sun, and is comfortable on the boat and in the water is key.

The skirts are cute, and cover her enough to not feel like she is walking around in a swim suit all the time, or wearing lycra/spandex.

I have had good luck with NRS and Sierra Trading Post. And it is worth it to keep her comfortable, so she comes out more.
Old 11-11-2016   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Kokatat offers some high quality women's paddling clothing, including shirts, shorts and capris.

https://kokatat.com/product/paddling-shirt-dewdsh
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016   #8
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Athleta and Carve have upf tights and tops. There are a ton of upf shirts and bottoms out there, Columbia, REI, Patagonia, NRS. Avoid cotton as your only clothing option, of course. The water is right there, if you want to cool off.

Also a wide rim hat and sunglasses.

I am equating skin exposure with sun exposure...
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
As a boater, I effing love that I can be and wear whatever I want.

As a practical layer, our work provided us with super awesome bamboo work shirts this summer from Freefly. They are lightweight, colorful, come in long sleeves and have hoods. I ended up buying two more!

I also like dresses that are non-cotton. Prana and Northface have been really good brands for that reason, plus then you look super cute.

For keeping warm, I have NRS splash pants and jacket, a lighter Marmot rain jacket, and a full on dry suit for the cold season.

Hands down though, Freefly was a total game changer, it doesn't stink after lot's of use, is one of the most comfortable shirts I own, and I am looking to add more of their products into my closet for this upcoming winter!
luckylauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've come to love light weight capris this past summer. I've picked up some nice, light weight, comfy and quick drying ones at various stores. The workout section at Target has good ones for low price. I've also found some at my local Sierra Trading Post, REI, and I've ordered them from Duluth Trading. Light colored long sleeve polypro t-shirts or Columbia brand long sleeve fishing shirts.