Riken Souix? Any info? - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
oxfordethan

Oxford, 38655
Riken Souix? Any info?

I picked up this 12 foot Riken yesterday as an early Father’s Day present. It was for sale by the original owner here locally. I felt it was too good of a deal to pass up. I think the serial number put said that being a 91 model. As y’all know there’s not a whole lot of information on the web about these boats. Will be used mainly as a paddle boat for me and the family on some pretty chill floats. Will be used mainly as a paddle boat for me and the family on some pretty chill floats. Probably nothing much over a class II. Anyhow, here’s a few pics. I picked up the boat, six paddles, hand pump, and bail bucket (lol) for $250. How did I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E0825A22-D9C6-4F80-831C-46C3789A5298_1560690671822.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	36275   Click image for larger version

Name:	E076F75E-60AE-4F77-A162-93E4852E9FEE_1560690691732.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	937.2 KB
ID:	36277  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DD12CAD7-F0FE-47E2-82A2-D6F34DF4F718_1560690734445.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	36279  

oxfordethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Great! Looks pristine for a boat approaching 3 decades old... I wouldn't hesitate to use for Deso, RHT, etc. Keep it inflated, if possible, and make sure holds air before going anywhere overnight. Pick up an extra - or three - of those nylon valves, they can fail without warning as the nylon gets brittle over time (with or without UV exposure). (Make sure valve screw pattern matches, and pick up SS replacement screws if valve doesn't come with 'em).
Riken was successor to Campways, moved production from Japan to Korea in late 80's/early 90's. I don't remember how the Souix and the Pioneer are related, but they're similar models. Pick up a couple of smaller (2 gallon) bail buckets for the family, maybe take a 2 liter container of bleach or detergent with a handle and cut it off to make a scoop, that will enable getting the last bit of water out...
I'd also run the chicken line all the way around the stern, "just in case." And go paddle that thing!
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Oh wow. I would say you did good on that one.

I would get that perimeter line tightened up before taking it out, since its an entrapment hazard when it’s loose like that, and really hard to get yourself back in, when it’s that loose ( the rope just pushes straight down, and ya go no where).

That boat is hypalon, by the way. Those old Rikens tend to be really well made. Old company that is no longer in business.

Hey you been boating for a while, or just getting into it?

Good deal on a bucket boat, Congratulations!
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
That is a high quality boat, the paddles and pump are valued at 250$ in today's market. Nice grab! Happy Father's Day.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
oxfordethan

Oxford, 38655
Thanks for the info and pointers. I’ll tighten the rope for sure. “Chicken line”? Are you just saying run the rope all the way around the boat? Are the valves referred to as Military Valves? I already planned on ordering more. Carry a couple of spares in a dry bag.

Original owner is 70. Said he’d had it on the river about 10 times. Had it aired up for 5 days before I came to look at it. Held air great.

This is my first raft. I started whitewater kayaking about 3 years ago. Very novice. My goal is to stay upright and get through the rapids. Lol. Keep in mind I’m in Mississippi. Better WW the further east I go. We hit the Nolichucky and and French Broad annually in our kayaks. Most of the time we float the Bear Creek in North Alabama. Couple of easy Class II rapids. I think this raft will be great for floating it. Planning on taking it the 4th.

Would love to do an overnight with my wife and girls (8&11). It’s been 15 years since my wife (then gf)and I went on an overnight river trip.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

Man those were good boats. But I’m a little partial to them. They were the first boats I guided when I started in ‘95. We use to run them down the Upper Gauley on private trips, which never went well.

I think Riken eventually got bought by Avon, but I’m not a 100% sure.
Hyside43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyside43 View Post

I think Riken eventually got bought by Avon, but I’m not a 100% sure.
NRS bought them out and then let it mostly die. They still have a couple of the old Riken designs and names with the NRS spin and materials on it though.

Nice boat,BTW. My first raft was a 11’ Riken bucket boat very briefly. As others have said, if it holds air for a few days then you win at that price.

You should be able to do overnighters in it going light and backpack style. I’ve seen it done with 4 paddlers, gear piled in the center in the even smaller Hyside Mini Me. Just keep it simple.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
oxfordethan

Oxford, 38655
Thanks. I want to keep it light as you said. Going to build a simple single bay frame to hold a cooler...In an effort to protect the floor. Only question...can you go too short (bow to stern)? Could/Will is cause buckling of the sides? Is there a certain length recommended as a minimum on a 12 ft boat? TIA.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordethan View Post
Thanks for the info and pointers. I’ll tighten the rope for sure. “Chicken line”? Are you just saying run the rope all the way around the boat? Are the valves referred to as Military Valves? I already planned on ordering more. Carry a couple of spares in a dry bag.

Original owner is 70. Said he’d had it on the river about 10 times. Had it aired up for 5 days before I came to look at it. Held air great.

This is my first raft. I started whitewater kayaking about 3 years ago. Very novice. My goal is to stay upright and get through the rapids. Lol. Keep in mind I’m in Mississippi. Better WW the further east I go. We hit the Nolichucky and and French Broad annually in our kayaks. Most of the time we float the Bear Creek in North Alabama. Couple of easy Class II rapids. I think this raft will be great for floating it. Planning on taking it the 4th.

Would love to do an overnight with my wife and girls (8&11). It’s been 15 years since my wife (then gf)and I went on an overnight river trip.
Ethan, are you going to Week of Rivers? It's the entire week of the 4th. Even if you don't plan to attend WOR you should at least hook up with them for Pirates on the Tuck. Your girls will LOVE it and your new bucket boat will be the perfect vessel for the job.
lncoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10

Seattle, Washington
Careful of water in the tubes. With miltary valves it's easy to let some in, and the old Riken's don't have as burly a material on the inside of the tube as they do on the outside.

This is one of the reasons the old avons were so bomber -- just as tough both inside and out.

Suction the air out and close the valves when you deflate to store. Should have lots of life left! Great score for that price, congrats on the boat!
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote