Rigging ammo cans in boat... - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-03-2015   #1

Portland, Oregon
Rigging ammo cans in boat...

Another random question....

I am going to get rocket boxes and was planning put them length wise in boat, so would just fit side by side and minimize the reduction of space in my cockpit. Got to thinking, which is always a dangerous thing that I could fit more cans if I put them on end and went side by side and only lose 5 or so more inches.

Any concerns with rocket boxes on their side? I would have an eco-safe groover, toiler seat and trash boxes. Groover is my only concern and think it wouldn't exactly be ideal for popping the top of that bad boy at camnp.

Thoughts?

PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015   #2

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
What ever works best for your set up man. Everyone's rig is a little different. I just ordered some new paint form my ammo cans, can't wait. I have laid boxes on the sides many times. Lengthwise, width wise, and held in upside down by just the handles on the top of a pile of gear.

I think the groover should stay upright though, or definitely pass the set-up job to someone else.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Cans on their ends could work, but they would be a real pain to rig down. You would have to have a custom floor with a shim on one side to account for the thickness of the handle when strapping them down tight. Also, a rower's compartment only as long as a 20mm can is tall would be tiny. I don't think it is really worth the effort to think on this one, buddy. Especially since the groover has got to remain upright at all times...
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2015   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
+1 on keep the groover upright, the seal should hold, but no reason to test it unless you have to. I strap my rocket boxes down like captain's boxes. I have a friend that built a min bay on his NRS frame that hold two rocket boxes end to end and upright behind his cooler.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015   #5

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
You can rig them whatever way works for you. However, I find them much easier to deal with if I can open them while still tied in. I added 'footman loops' to some of my boxes so they can be attached at odd angles.

kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015   #6

Portland, Oregon
You guys rock...

this forum proves that just because you ask a stupid question doesn't mean you always get a stupid answer.

Groover won't go on side and sounds like I was trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Have a few more questions that will place in new posts.

Will use my small space for one rocket box and water can.

Thanks guys!
PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #7

NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Duck View Post
Another random question....

I am going to get rocket boxes and was planning put them length wise in boat, so would just fit side by side and minimize the reduction of space in my cockpit. Got to thinking, which is always a dangerous thing that I could fit more cans if I put them on end and went side by side and only lose 5 or so more inches.

Any concerns with rocket boxes on their side? I would have an eco-safe groover, toiler seat and trash boxes. Groover is my only concern and think it wouldn't exactly be ideal for popping the top of that bad boy at camnp.

Thoughts?
Try using a cat chassis and rest your cans on a lower cross bar
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #8

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Has anyone mentioned nrs drybox hangers supporting a skidguard drop floor? You can rivet boatman loops in the ammo can lids allows a strap to the frame to hold the ammo can down firm against the floor.
Old 04-10-2015   #9

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
A new idea, from a personal friend and great guy...who makes great products

White Water and Industrial Products Ô€“ Pulse Fabrication

His "motherboard" systems are awesome

(please remove this post if I am violating a rule by posting a link to a non-sponsor company)
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote