Reviews of Down River Equipment rafts - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-09-2010   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Reviews of Down River Equipment rafts

Considering a full boat build next year. Have been very impressed with Down River Equipment's boats. Though, admittedly, they seem to fetch a premium in price. Any one have an opinion or review of their rafts?

riodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010   #2

They are very sweet. Mine holds air like a champ and the material seems super bomber. Admittedly not an expert on rafts, but I have been very pleased with my 13' SB. I load it down and occasionally hit rocks.
Old 12-10-2010   #3

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
No worries, I know about twelve boaters that have owned DR boats for awhile, very few problems. It is a proven boat and company. Plus they are a local business. Over the years I have purchased 80% of my personal gear there.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
I been in these rafts set up for electrofishing - generators, water tanks for holding fish, all the electrofishing hardware, full frames with diamond plate floor from DRE...these boat were set up heavy as a garbage barge. These boat have been ground over gravel bars, bounced down banks, and run into sieves and rootballs that I would have sworn would have shredded anything, and they kept floating.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Good boats, I float with a buddy who has had his for a few years. He never had problems with it. Plus local company is always a plus when any work/additions have to be made
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I have the 14' colorado and love it.

It is a bit lighter than the outfitter models made by them as well as other companies but I prefer it as it is lighter and rolls tighter.

I have yet to have any issues with it for the past 3 years.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010   #7
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I have no experience rowing one, but when I contacted them to check a serial # on a friends boat I found out some interesting things. They do not assign the #'s, but rather the "factory" in Asia assigns them, and with "no apparent rhyme or reason" according to the customer service rep I spoke to. based on that statement, it seems that DRE doesn't own their factory, but contracts out the building of their boats. This is not a huge deal, but compared to a company like Aire who when you give them a serrial # can tell you the date of manufacture, date of sale, original purchaser and the length of remaining warranty, all over the phone in less than a minute, DRE's organization and comitment to those who have already purchased their rafts seems to be lacking. Seems to be more akin to those selling "bargain brand" boats rather than high end ones. But again, I have never used one and have always heard that they are bomber
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010   #8

buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
own both, and in the future i will put my money into more NRS boats; the DRs we've had all had problems with the floors; and I think the NRS last longer consistantly. Probably a fine boat and ours see more miles in a few yrs than most ever will, but you can't go wrong with NRS
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #9

Winter Park, Colorado
dre Welding

My buddy bought one of these boats and it had leaks where the floor was welded to the tube as well a a blown I-beam within the first month of owning it. He had to get a new boat under warranty witch took some time because the new boat had to be shipped from the factory. Bottom line as said above is that DRE does not have the quality control that the larger companies have so you might get a "lemon", if that happens the boat should be under warranty and you might have to go through some hoops to get a new one but once you get a quality boat it should last.
Whitewaterwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #10

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Sounds like an Aire commercial...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt cook View Post
I have no experience rowing one, but when I contacted them to check a serial # on a friends boat I found out some interesting things. They do not assign the #'s, but rather the "factory" in Asia assigns them, and with "no apparent rhyme or reason" according to the customer service rep I spoke to. based on that statement, it seems that DRE doesn't own their factory, but contracts out the building of their boats. This is not a huge deal, but compared to a company like Aire who when you give them a serrial # can tell you the date of manufacture, date of sale, original purchaser and the length of remaining warranty, all over the phone in less than a minute, DRE's organization and comitment to those who have already purchased their rafts seems to be lacking. Seems to be more akin to those selling "bargain brand" boats rather than high end ones. But again, I have never used one and have always heard that they are bomber
They were inquiring about down river boats...not Aires