Reusing Wiper Fluid Jugs for Drinking Water? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 03-10-2019  

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Reusing Wiper Fluid Jugs for Drinking Water?

Can anyone come up with a good reason why a well-washed and well-rinsed 1-gallon HDPE windshield wiper fluid jug shouldn't be used for drinking water? Yes, I know the wiper fluid contains methyl alcohol which is poisonous and would blind or kill you if you drank it straight up. But methyl alcohol is also highly water soluble and should be sufficiently removed with a good washing and letting jugs sit overnight full of water.

These jugs are sturdy, have a top that won't come off easily, and seem like a good option except for the fact they've held wiper fluid in them. It always feels like such a waste when I put these in the recycle bin...

Any input appreciated,

-AH

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019  

Upstate, South Carolina
Wouldn’t risk poisoning on the river. Rather spend couple extra bucks and buy a good one.
Old 03-10-2019  
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Washer fluid in its raw form is 99.8 percent methanol. I have no idea what the .2 percent is. Funny I had the same thought with a kitty litter jug this morning. Seemed kinda wasteful throwing out a nice hdpe2 jug.
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019  

Upstate, South Carolina
Depends on the resin used to make container. I’m sure there is a different standard used when making drinking containers. Containers will probably be expose to much sun which will cause the plastic to release harmful chemicals.
Old 03-10-2019  

Truckee, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Not really sure I’d like the form factor. I get the desire to reuse something but the design isn’t great for rafting. My squared off jugs strap nicely to the back end of my frames and sit nice and flat, o couldn’t see those jugs being easy to stack/pack.
Old 03-10-2019  
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Fill them with blue Kool Aid and fuck with your friends!
Old 03-10-2019  

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2016
I have an automotive shop and my mom rinses out the wiper fluid bottles to get water for her dog. She thinks her well water is bad for the dog. Good news....the dogs not dead. It can't be any worse than all the crap they put in city water. Fill em with beer first. That'll rinse em out.
Old 03-10-2019  
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
Wow jim jones

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Why not order new HDPE jugs? If you insist on reusing jugs I'd get some for RV antifreeze as it's non toxic.
Old 03-11-2019  

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
I use 1/2 gallon used OJ containers. Best part is the making of tequila sunrises prior to emptying for river use........