Rescue Kit- what needs to be in it? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-06-2019   #1

Rescue Kit- what needs to be in it?

Hi, I'm looking for information on what needs to be in a "rescue kit" per the Yampa Brochure.

We have pin kit but I curious what is required to meet the regulations.

Also if you could share what you bring that would great.

Thanks!

kayakingkate is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
https://www.nps.gov/dino/planyourvis...ment-FINAL.pdf

"Rescue Kit - one (z-drag) kit of adequate gear to rescue a trapped boat...must have knowledge to use it...and it must provide mechanical advantage."

Guessing your pin kit is fine, I have liked adding a mini traxiom or some sort of ascender for helping with things. Need to understand you can't load them the wrong way and other use considerations but very handy.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #3

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
The standard NRS Z-drag kit passed their inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 91'
Lots and lots of rope, p-cord, pullies, carabiners, at least one pair of leather gloves, and a good attitude. I also have a river rescue manual in the kit as well. Make sure the rope is static line and rated for several thousand pounds. The throw bags you buy are not going to get a loaded raft unpinned.
rubtheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I would add that you want to have some nylon webbing tied off to different lengths. You can wrap these around trees and rocks, double them up to provide the anchor to your haul system. Good quality prussiks are nice to have as well to ensure progress capture.

Also, I don't keep whiskey in my z drag kit, but certainly consider it part of my rescue kit, once the boat is unstuck, it's time for whiskey. Just don't show it to the Dino ranger.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019   #6

Added this: A-100 to my kit. My boat is hefty.
BGillespie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019   #7

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
I would add that you want to have some nylon webbing tied off to different lengths. You can wrap these around trees and rocks, double them up to provide the anchor to your haul system. Good quality prussiks are nice to have as well to ensure progress capture.

Also, I don't keep whiskey in my z drag kit, but certainly consider it part of my rescue kit, once the boat is unstuck, it's time for whiskey. Just don't show it to the Dino ranger.
I’m finishing putting my kit together, as we’ve never floated with one. I’ll agree, Whiskey is never a bad idea...
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019   #8

Grand Junction, Colorado
Cams

As an old climber, I have found that, in addition to the aforementioned nylon slings, ascenders & pulley, a few cams are a great addition. They set up extremely quickly in any available crack. I personally carry a 3/8", 1" & 2" Aliens in my captain's box for quick tie-offs. They came in handy several times last year on the Grand.
JK_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
I would add that you want to have some nylon webbing tied off to different lengths. You can wrap these around trees and rocks, double them up to provide the anchor to your haul system.
It's not a bad idea to incrementally replace your webbing.

Start with a long, new piece. Pretie it, but don't load it. If you find yourself needing a custom length, it's easier to tie one that hasn't been fully loaded.

If you get a wear spot in one of your older slings, cut it and tie that hunk of webbing into a smaller loop.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019   #10

What ropes are people using? I see NRS uses a floating/easy to grip rope. Seems like a 8mm static would be good for pulling a wrapped raft.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote